Need some new bookshelves - A2s anyone?
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, after I got used to my current PC audio setup (shown in sig), I can't listen to my $40 logitech 2.1 system. I'll put it this way - The subwoofer is a 6" driver, and the mids and tweets are both 1.5" cones. Horrible design to start, bad sound to finish.

So basically I feel like my best sub $300 option is a pair of bookshelves. I notice that the A2s get a lot of hype around here, and its not just FOTM. As far as my sound signature is concerned, I'm a huge fan of clean bass, forward mids, and crispy shimmering highs + soundstage.

Are there any swans speakers I could look into at this price point? This is my first speaker purchase so, like with headphones, I'm slightly overwhelmed. These will be run out of my Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 21
The A2's have a bloomy upper bass, and somewhat subdued highs, so I'm not sure they are what you are looking for. Do you have a speaker amp or receiver? Because if you do, it's far better to get a non-powered compact bookshelf.....way more choices.

I recommend Epos ELS3, Paradigm Atoms, NHT Absolute Zero as good choices in the $300 speaker range. A small T-Amp could even suffice if you don't intend to play it loud at your desk.

I have an A2 because they are tiny and I'm using it with my laptop but if I was to get serious about listening to music, I'd go the amp+speaker route

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Hmm, if going with passive speakers and an amp is a much better option than I definitely think I would do that. Is it possible to do both on a budget of $300 though? Also, I forgot to mention this, but I am in a college dorm setting so the stuff can't be all that big.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, start by getting a 70's receiver in eBay for under $100. Something from Technics, Pioneer, Marantz, Onkyo, Sansui, etc.

If I were to do that, my audio chain would look something like this, correct?:

PC Soundcard RCA out --> Receiver/amp --> Speaker wire --> Speakers

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 21
Going amp + speakers allows for more options, plus some amps have headphone stage, phono stage, multiple inputs (you want to connect more than just the computer, right?) and tape loop/record outputs, a/b speaker switching.

I wouldn't buy a 70's receiver, it'll be at deaths door. Look for something no more than 10 years old. I've just had to spend £160 to get two poweramps repaired, only output fets. Really don't want something that on it's way out. I have a Arcam Alpha stereo integrated amplifier for the PC audio rig.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, if going with passive speakers and an amp is a much better option than I definitely think I would do that. Is it possible to do both on a budget of $300 though?

Sure it's possible with some legwork. The $300 limits your options a bit, but it's possible to find a deal on new speakers (often there is room for negotiation), and getting a used amp is very valid option. I've seen the PSB Alpha B1's for $200 on sale, that leaves $100 for an amp.

I forgot another recommendation: the Cambridge S30, which is $220. Good bookshelf for a desktop system, wouldn't overwhelm your desktop.
Cambridge - S30 - Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

I mentioned the T-amp which might do the trick for you. It's only $45 and if you pair it with a moderately efficient speaker (like the S30), then you could be ok for volume for a desktop.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to do that, my audio chain would look something like this, correct?:

PC Soundcard RCA out --> Receiver/amp --> Speaker wire --> Speakers

Correct, that option would work.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 21
I find A2's quite nice for a desktop setup.

Getting the right sound might be a matter of placement and EQing if required.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 21
Okay so here's the deal - I want to go with passive monitors and an amp. No receiver though, don't have the room. I also don't have room for monitors. They are simply too big and my desk is too small to be able to find a place and get good imaging out of them.

So I'm going to need speaker stands. I don't want to spend a fortune though, so it it possible just to stick a piece of PVC pipe into two pieces of wood and have that work? Or does ti get more complicated than that?

I do like the way the cabridge S30s are looking - as far as that T-amp goes, it seems to have great reviews, but I may keep looking and spend a bit more.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 21
ehh...two pieces of wood and pvc could technically work, but I personally would not want to keep my speakers on something based on my woodworking talents. I'm guessing you'll be needing an integrated amp unless you want to keep changing the volume on your computer. I feel like it'll be difficult to keep it all within the $300 range. Maybe if you save up to about $500 you'll have more breathing room and will probably be more satisfied with the setup.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 21
ebay will be your dearest friend here...

The suggestion about amp + speakers will get you a sound that is both customisable and affordable.

More often than not, powered monitors are designed for a different job and do not satisfy the music listener - too much detail and treble energy.

Older amplifiers will do the job as well and if you chose wisely better than any current self powered speaker.

I propose searching for Marantz (preferably SE or KIS signature models) from the mid 80s. Also Musical Fidelity, NAD, Cyrus etc...

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 21
Sep 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 21
I can't have anything besides floor standing speaker stands because I don't have room on the desk for them. I'm cruising around ebay for a cheap set that will get the job done. As for an amp, I have not done anymore research so far. Any other suggestions besides the T-amp?

I suppose I could up my budget slightly (damn you head fi)

Right now I'm looking at these figures:
Essence STX RCA out -> T-Amp ($45) -> Cambridge S30 ($220) on stands (~$20)

I'm already pushing my budget after shipping costs and everything, and I really do not want to spend much on cables. I'm not really a believer in all that (don't preach to me - If I get there I'll get there)

So far I'm thinking its pretty solid - I'm assuming I would be around $350 after everything is said and done. Is there anywhere I could improve on this? Remember I'm looking for really nice detail and a wide soundstage, with forward mids and clean bass. It looks like the S30s will deliver that, but I'm open to amp options. I will look at some 80s amps, and I also have no problem buying used speakers, so I suppose I could cut costs a bit that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back