Need some IEMs...recommendations?
Feb 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xarmydis

New Head-Fier
Need me some IEM's, for  ~$100, and with a few specifications, and wanted to see what people had to say =D

I need noise-cancelling. I do not want to hear the TV my roommate has on. I'd prefer strong passive-noise cancelling as opposed to active. The white noise can give me a headache x.x

Something sturdy. I want to be able to sleep/roll over with it :xf_eek: My last headphones lasted me 2 years, but what killed them is when I fell asleep with them on. A sturdy cord is much preferred.

Aside from that, I'm pretty good with anything =D

I listen to plenty of Rock music, classic (the eagles/the who), some current stuff (Billy talent/rise against), and most DEFINITELY classical music.

Uhhh, if there's any other info you guys need, I can give it =D

I'm looking at the Westone UM1 team editions, since I heard they sound better than their non-team alter-ego. They look sturdy, but I don't really know how they hold up isolation-wise.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 22
Etymotic HF5's - the tri flanges block out a LOT of sound and they sound pretty good (depending on your tastes, they're neutral)

Edit: Go buy on Amazon $96 right now.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 22
How are they on durability though? The one thing I like about the SE215 is that it has the replaceable cable, but it's apparently very bass-based, but I'm looking for more clarity. I'm listening to increasingly big amounts of classical music, and I like that the HF5 would be great for that, but I don't want cable issues again. I do sleep with my 'phones :-X And I roll over a lot.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 22
I think the Etymotics will work for you sound- and isolation-wise, but I don't know if you'll be able to sleep with them, because they stick out of your ears. Westones will probably be more comfortable for long-term use, and they have a pretty good reputation for durability, but I don't know how well the sound will work with your music.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Hi all, sorry to bud in, but I am in the market pretty much for the same thing.  And I do see the HF5 on sale right now on Amazon.  

Noise Isolation is very important to me as well, I ride the Subway everyday for 2 hours, need something that can allow me to hear only my music.

I also care about durability.  Also, I care more about Clarity over Bass.

I have been looking into many many reviews, and starting to be confused.

1) I read Ultimate ears 700 is great sound, best design, but only last for 2 month...
2) I read Ultimate ears 500 is great great design, but they have issues with the cable being too stiff and they can break in 6 month of use.
3) I read Klipsch X10 has great sound, but the ear peice is cheap and noise isolation sucks.
4) Etymotic HF5 has very deep sound?  No warm?  also issues with them is the Ear Piece, 3 flange, doesn't fit every ear.  Wondering if anyone has try to use Comply Foum Tips with it?
5) I also looked into Sennheiser CX 880, 475, and 500.  Heard that their noise isolation is not that great either.  Even though they advertise being professional noise isolation.
6) Then there is that Audeo PFE, but the thing with those, you have to wrap them around your ear.   Does that cause some comfort issues?

My Budget is $150 or less.

God, why can't this be easier?

Please help!

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 22

Hi all, sorry to bud in, but I am in the market pretty much for the same thing.  And I do see the HF5 on sale right now on Amazon.  

Noise Isolation is very important to me as well, I ride the Subway everyday for 2 hours, need something that can allow me to hear only my music.

1) I read Ultimate ears 700 is great sound, best design, but only last for 2 month...
2) I read Ultimate ears 500 is great great design, but they have issues with the cable being too stiff and they can break in 6 month of use.
3) I read Klipsch X10 has great sound, but the ear peice is cheap and noise isolation sucks.
4) Etymotic HF5 has very deep sound?  No warm?  also issues with them is the Ear Piece, 3 flange, doesn't fit every ear.  Wondering if anyone has try to use Comply Foum Tips with it?
5) I also looked into Sennhei

My Budget is $150 or less.ser CX 880, 475, and 500.  Heard that their noise isolation is not that great either.  Even though they advertise being professional noise isolation.
6) Then there is that Audeo PFE, but the thing with those, you have to wrap them around your ear.   Does that cause some comfort issues?

Please help!

I was looking into the UE700 myself, and found it perfect. If it only it was durable. The HF5, I'm starting to read it has sub-par/average durability, and I need a bit more. I love the idea of a detachable cable, as in the SE215/315, but I hear they are all bass, and I"m looking a bit more for the clarity for my Classical tunes. Not that bass is unimportant, just not the focus.

Everything has one aspect of what I want. Some are durable. Some have the sound I'm looking for. The HF5, I read great things though, but the 3 ear piece thing apparently depends on who you are. 

I feel ya bro though, anyone else have recommendations? How do y'all feel the 315's compare? I really don't want to pay that much, I really really don't.

*sigh* Alas, the search continues!

To everyone that's recommended, I really appreciate the advice, and am still considering the HF5's, they are a steal at $88 right now!

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 22
Seriously, I do think the Ultimate Ears 700 has everything I want.

Noise Isolation, Clarity over Bass, and the design I want as well.

JUST NO GOD DAM DURABILITY.     someone mentions about doing some thing at Radio Shack and get it reinforced?

Basically, I think [color=#0066cc]Xarmydis [/color]and I are looking for an Ultimate Ears 700 but with Durability..................

Can anyone out there help us find one!!!!!!!!!  LOL.

I desperately need a new one.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 22
How are the Westone 1's? They might be what I really do want. How do they compare to the UM1 team edition? I keep reading great things about them, and they are relatively well priced. The dual-wire thing makes me like them even more, possibly some durability knocked in there!

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
How are the Westone 1's? They might be what I really do want. How do they compare to the UM1 team edition? I keep reading great things about them, and they are relatively well priced. The dual-wire thing makes me like them even more, possibly some durability knocked in there!

What about the Design?  its over the ear, as compared to in ear like UE 700.   Can someone give some feedback on that?  does the over the ear design cause any discomfort?  I mean you kind of feel the wires over your ears.

Also, most of these Westone or Audeo PFE, they are look like Hearing aids to me...........  design I guess not my type.     But if they offer everything I need, I might just sacrifice on design.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 22
I agree with the majority here and totally recommend the HF5. Meets all the standards you're looking for, and I actually have fallen asleep with them once. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but I didn't notice until that morning...and they were still in place

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I agree with the majority here and totally recommend the HF5. Meets all the standards you're looking for, and I actually have fallen asleep with them once. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but I didn't notice until that morning...and they were still in place

This one I got straight from Amazon.......  doesn't sound appealing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Etymotic HF-5 In-Ear Monitors - Not for every ear canal, August 11, 2010

By
SWD Pitviper - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Cobalt) (Electronics)

The purchase of the Etymotic HF5's taught my band a valuable lesson on buying this kind of device online ... TEST FIT BEFORE PURCHASE. My band was looking for in-ear buds to go with Shure's PSM200 Wireless In-Ear Monitoring system for live vocal monitoring. We bought them online based on reviews and visuals ... bad idea. Thank you, Amazon, for allowing us to return them.

So, The HF5's sounded great for the money IF you could get them in and get them to stay in. That's the end of the "good" part of this review. They had *major* design flaws in my opinion that negatively impacted comfort, usability, and ultimately, the sound quality that you're able to achieve in real-world use.

First, the nozzel is a much larger diameter than my Shure earbuds and inserts into the silicon triple-flange tips all the way to the very end

Second, the nozzel comes straight out from the drivers and is not bent to accomodate seating the driver in the ear

Third, the nozzel is much longer than my Shure earbuds, suspending the driver and cord further away from the ear

The large nozzel led to the triple-flange silicone tips being unable to compress below the diameter of the nozzel. The combination of tip and nozzel was larger by FAR than the Shures I use when the silicone tip is fully compressed around the nozzel. You essentially have a large unyeilding tube that you have to force into your ear canal.

The length of the nozzel led to the drivers sticking much further out of the ear, whihc made the earbuds extremely uncomfortable (there was a rather large unyielding element in your ear when fully inserted) and almost impossible to fit into smaller ear canals even with the smaller tips. My keyboardist is petite and her ears are small, and she felt almost violated by the fit.

In actual practice, once when you DID get them in, the rigidity of the nozzel/tip, coupled with the leverage created by the drivers and cords being so far away from the tips caused them to fall completely or partially out of the ear canal with almost any head movements. Even a partial break of the seal compromises the bass response, isolation, and apparent volume.

Finally, the trick I use with my Shures to prevent them from coming out (wrapping the cords around my ears and cinching them up at the back of my hairline) is not effective with the HF-5's. The distance they stick out from your ears and the lack of support for the drivers because the nozzels are not bent to allow the driver to rest inside the ear do not alow easy routing of the cords behind the ears.

Shure has been doing this for years and has really gotten the sound, comfort, and utility down to a science ... haven't tried Ultimate Ears yet, but I have to say that the few extra bucks you pay for the Shures will pay off in comfort, sound, and reliability over these cool looking, but ultimately unusable earbuds.

[size=xx-small]Help other customers find the most helpful reviews[/size]

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

[size=xx-small]Report abuse[/size][size=xx-small] [/size]| [size=xx-small]Permalink[/size]
Comment Comment

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

5) I also looked into Sennheiser CX 880, 475, and 500.  Heard that their noise isolation is not that great either.  Even though they advertise being professional noise isolation.

My Budget is $150 or less.

God, why can't this be easier?

Please help!

For clarity over bass, the HF5s definitely fit the bill, as do the UE700s and PFEs. However, as you pointed out, the UE700s have durability issues, and some people have fit issues with the HF5s. So maybe the PFEs are your best bet. I can tell you that over-ear is not a comfort issue at all, and actually makes the fit more secure and more comfortable. Now I even wear my straight-barrel IEMs over-the-ear.

Quote:

I don't know anything about the UM1 team edition,,, but I seem to recall hearing the Westone Ones placed above the UM1s, but look that up in the dedicated thread. And as the previous poster brought up, maybe try to find the Audeo PFEs.

Quote:
What about the Design?  its over the ear, as compared to in ear like UE 700.   Can someone give some feedback on that?  does the over the ear design cause any discomfort?  I mean you kind of feel the wires over your ears.

Also, most of these Westone or Audeo PFE, they are look like Hearing aids to me...........  design I guess not my type.     But if they offer everything I need, I might just sacrifice on design.

Over-ear is more comfortable than straight down generally, and more secure and you'll hear less cable noise.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
For clarity over bass, the HF5s definitely fit the bill, as do the UE700s and PFEs. However, as you pointed out, the UE700s have durability issues, and some people have fit issues with the HF5s. So maybe the PFEs are your best bet. I can tell you that over-ear is not a comfort issue at all, and actually makes the fit more secure and more comfortable. Now I even wear my straight-barrel IEMs over-the-ear.

I don't know anything about the UM1 team edition,,, but I seem to recall hearing the Westone Ones placed above the UM1s, but look that up in the dedicated thread. And as the previous poster brought up, maybe try to find the Audeo PFEs.

Over-ear is more comfortable than straight down generally, and more secure and you'll hear less cable noise.

Great Review, I will definitely look into the PFE.  As you mentioned the PFE are more secured, so I am assuming it has great noise isolation?   Or does it have noise cancellation as well?

How are the sound quality with PFE?  they are as good as UE700?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Great Review, I will definitely look into the PFE.  As you mentioned the PFE are more secured, so I am assuming it has great noise isolation?   Or does it have noise cancellation as well?

How are the sound quality with PFE?  they are as good as UE700?

Well it wasn't really a review, seeing as I've never owned any of these... However, I think if you ask ljokerl on his thread he can give you a good idea of how the sound relative to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back