Need some IEM advice
Mar 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Im no iem expert and my experience is limited in this world.  I'm looking for a down style iem similar to the hisound popo.  Something warm and fun with an incredibly large and spacious soundstage, powerful deep lows and a a midrange that is great enough to not be overshadowed by potent bass.  I am having trouble finding anything that fits this in a down style cable ( a cable that does not wrap behind your ear )

Any advice is appreciated, my budget is up to $300

-mike

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Judging from what I have read, perhaps the JVC FXT90 may tick your boxes. 
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Judging from what I have read, perhaps the JVC FXT90 may tick your boxes. 
smile.gif

The FXT90 is not warm, though it does have great mids. There's some enhancement in the upper mids and treble which can cause it to approach brightness, without being bright. It is forward and borders on aggresion however. It's soundstage is not incredibly large and spacious by any stretch of the imagination, though it has ample width and depth. At that price point there's also the EPH-100 to consider, which whilst warmer and more laid back, may leave you wanting in terms of soundstage. That said, it was more than adequate for my tastes. 

Mind you, your budget can cater for something significantly higher up the scale than the above two phones. The only thing that immediately springs to mind in terms of signature preference is the IE8, which unfortunately can be worn over the ear only. Is wearing over the ear really that important? I ask as this is restricting your sonic options significantly. If it's a must, then the Monster Miles Davis Tribute (or Coppers perhaps) match your preference in everything apart from the huge soundstage.     

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I have no microphonics with my livewire custom iems, they have 360 rotating plugs so they can be worn over or normally, I highly prefer down style.  I hate the strings touching the back of my ears and they do not vanish over time, there is always a feeling of "something stuck behind my ears" ahhh I hate that.  Down style is a requirement, i'll never use behind the ear style again, if there is a problem and I drop my mp3 player which happens so often, or perhaps the cable gets caught on something, it jerks my ear really hard and I go nuts.  I cant stand it.  

Down style plz :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back