Need some help...
Dec 28, 2010 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, head-fi members,

I'm writing this hoping some of you guys can help me.

Recently I've started listening to some of Sarah Brightman's songs like "Phantom of Opera," and "Time to Say Goodbye" My friend got me interested in these singers, and so the first audio files I've used listening to them were the flac files my friend gave me. I was in love with the songs, but the static noises kept me from fully emerging into the songs.(when listened with my Audio Technica ATH-M50, from my laptop and Cowon J3)

I didn't know what the issue was so I ordered the actual CD and ripped it as wav files and listened to them, and the static noise is still there. 

I would try to figure out where the problem is coming from, whether it is just recording error that I have to live with, or if the problem actually lies in my headphone. Maybe it's because I've started paying a lot more attention while I listened to music after I got ATH-M50, but I've been hearing a lot of static noises. When I casually asked, some of the head-fi members told me it might be from the recording, but now that it's so prevalent over many of my at least adequate quality audio files consisting of 320 kbps mp3 files and lossless files, I'm starting to doubt my assumptions that those static noises I heard were all from poorly mastered recordings...

The problem is I only have one headphone, ath-m50, and the other ones are from before my becoming interested in the quality audio experience and are earphones that ranged about 10 dollars that I do not find credible enough.

So if anyone of you guys own an audio file of Sarah Brightman's song "Phantom of Opera," it would be really great if you guys can check and tell me if you guys also hear the static noise near 3:45-3:55.

If there were no errors in the recordings themselves, then my guess is that my ATH-M50 is the source of my problem. Luckily, my return window with amazon is still open for another month, so I'd still be able to get a replacement. 

Thank you very much for your help. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi, I listened to the song paying particular attention to the 10 seconds you pointed out in your message (between 3:45 and 3:55) but I can't hear any static. Anyway the quality of the file I was listening is very poor (an mp3 file at just 192 kbps) so I don't really know if it is significant for your research.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 15
I downloaded a 192kbps from her "Diva The Singles Collection". There's a loud lead guitar around that time. I listened twice but I didn't hear any static. Its possible that when it was ripped the static or distortion was introduced during encoding.

It can also cause your player to clip.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 15
I think I hear it the most around 3:52 and for few seconds after 4:00. The static noise isn't directly on the singer's voice, but rather on the background, like some static cloudyness. 

And I don't know if it was due to the ripping process. I ripped the same CD into several different kbps mp3 files, flac, and wav, and it continues... This means the problem is on the headphone or the audio file itself, since I hear it both on my laptop and cowon J3...

Perhaps I should just try to get a replacement for this and try it out? 

Also, what do you mean my player can clip? I'm not very learned in audio-related language...

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 15
Try it on a different headphone or IEM to check if you hear the static. Your headphone may be causing your laptop or J3 to clip. Static noise is a good sign that what you are hearing is clipping.

Clipping means the amplifier in your laptop or player cannot amplify the input signal cleanly any longer.

Here's a picture of clipping. The top and bottom of the sine wave are cut off or clipped.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I downloaded a 192kbps from her "Diva The Singles Collection". There's a loud lead guitar around that time. I listened twice but I didn't hear any static. Its possible that when it was ripped the static or distortion was introduced during encoding.

You mentioned static or distortion may be introduced during encoding. Do you suggest I try using a different program to encode the files? I used Windows Media Player for the ripping for this CD...What is a good encoding program?

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

You mentioned static or distortion may be introduced during encoding. Do you suggest I try using a different program to encode the files? I used Windows Media Player for the ripping for this CD...What is a good encoding program?

That was just something I brainstormed earlier. Have you tried an ear bud just to check if you hear the static? Just to check for clipping.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Before I send off my ath-m50 for a replacement, I was hoping you guys can help me once more in verifying the static noise in a different song. It's a duet song of Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli, "The Prayer." I think the static noise is just all over the song (flac version). 

This is overall very confusing. In some songs, I really cannot hear ANY static noise, and it's so natural and immersive, and I come to this song, and the song is just infested with static noises! Otherwise such an amazing song! 

Thanks in advance!

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 15
thanks yoga flame. I actually just tried it with the free tracks from HDtracks, and I still heard some statics...I don't think they would be distributing static ridden tracks to advertise for their high definition music, but...I will return my current one tomorrow and have a replacement sent. I guess I'll have to re-stretch and burn in the headphones again..but. hopefully it's worth it. i'll update this thread once I get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back