Need some help
Jul 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gdietman

New Head-Fier
I'm a veteran of music since the 60's, always had decent equipment. This is what I have and maybe someone can recommend a good set.
Receiver Yamaha v870
cd player-now is a philips cdr785 but thinking of buying a Marantz 5001 today
Phones-I just bought the Bose Around Ear phones for $140 from Best Buy but I can return them with your recommendation.

Listens to (examples) Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Radiohead

Heard the Grado's are a good choice. So $150 and under unless somoeone says for $200 you have to get....

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Jul 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 5
I wouldn't recommend Grado's for the type of music you have listed (although they sound great with strait up Rock music). I would also recommend returning the Bose headphones, not that they are bad but because you can get much better sounding headhones for the same money. I find that bands like Pink Floyd and RadioHead sound better coming out of cans with a large soundstage. Try considering AKG 501's,601's,701's Sennheiser hd595's,h580's,600's. I am sure others will come in with more recommendations as well.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a similar history, or at least longevity. If you can spend about $170, I have a suggestion that should be fun for quite a while. Buy a pair of Grado SR60s and a pair of Denon 1000s. You'll have your music bases covered, closed and open, and you'll have fun comparing the two. If you want to resell later you won't lose much.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back