Need some help...
Sep 22, 2006 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

okay_player

100+ Head-Fier
Alright here's the deal. I took my K81's to Ring Audio to have the cord shortened and a new connector installed. I figured it would be a one time thing and since it was done by a professional with a lot of experience there would be no problems. Everything had been great up until about a week ago when my 5g began pausing very frequently. Since I could not detect any audible degredation and was always receiving full stereo sound when it WASNT pausing, I decided to give rockbox another try.
I installed the latest build about 5-6 days ago and did my best to get used to it. It did solve the pausing problem, but other issues have arisen:

1) Frequent freezes. Often the song will keep playing fine but none of the buttons will register and I will have to reboot. Doesn't happen nearly as often as the pausing with the apple firmware, but still irritating.

2) Certain m4a files (which I have downloaded) would play-back at a slower-than-normal tempo. Hopefully you know what I mean, I'm not really sure how else to describe it. It sort of sounds like when your batteries are first starting to die using a walkman...

3) Tried installing a few themes (tunes, specifically) which only half worked. The theme would show up, by the id3 text would not be properly aligned on the screen. I find this happens (to a lesser extent) with most of the default themes as well.

Because of all this I've removed rockbox and attempted to beef up the connection on my K81's but have been unsuccessful. I don't have any experience with soldering or anything like that, but it looks like the guy did a pretty good job. There are 2 layers of black rubbery sleeves protecting the wiring where he did the soldering. I can remove the first sleeve but not the second as it is very tight. And just as well because I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

So what should I do? I'm assuming if I take my phones back to Ring Audio I'll have to pay another 30$ or so and imagine the fix would only be temporary. That said, I don't think rockbox is for me... there are a lot of features, but I really don't need 90% fo them, and prefer the GUI of the apple firmware for ease of use....if only it offered a setting to disable the pause-on-removal-of-phones option...

I'm sort of debating buying a soldering iron and practicing with old pairs of crappy phones but would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Oh, and yeah, lesson learned. I won't be shortening anymore cords in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back