Need some help with some neutral headphones...
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
As you can see from my sig, I just recently purchased a pair of Sony MDRV6's last week. After mulling it over, I don't think I want to spend money this quickly for basically an upgrade to the same sound of the Sony's with the A900 or the DT770...what I'm looking for specifically are some neutral sounding cans that actually are flat on all frequencies.

I know I'm missing something in the middle frequencies that I sort of want to hear for some music, however, I don't want to sacrifice too much bass or treble to just hear it, so I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what kind of full size cans you think I should get for under 200 dollars?

I've looked at the DT880, but I can only get the 250 Ohm version for under 200 dollars. I've also looked at the Sennheiser models, like the 580 and the 595, but not entirely sure about some aspects of those models.

Comfort is also a huge factor for me. Portability is not a factor at all for me.

I listen to a variety of music, that's sort of why I want some neutral headphones to supplement by "rock out cans".

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 4
I would recommend the Sennheiser HD595 if you dont mind open headphones. They work well on any music genre and are extremely comfortable as well. They are also good for gaming and movies. Never tried any of the other ones you listed.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 4
What's keeping you from furthering your interest in the DT880? 250 ohm is pretty much standard for that can, right? 32 ohm is harder to find (maybe Meyer Audio?), and the 600 ohm version has a price premium on the Beyer Manufacture site.

Do you not have an amp that you will be using? I noticed the Headphonia and Tomahawk in your signature. I've read that the Tomahawk can push all sorts of cans, and I think I've read good things about the Headphonia.

Anyway, I was just wondering what was behind your concern about the DT880 and it being 250 ohm.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 4
I thought the 250 ohm version was considered the "bad" version. Or am I confusing myself with the DT770 Pro's? Plus they're a little bit out of my price range, as I was wrong before about the price of the DT880's. It's actually more than 200 bucks. I know it's like 20 bucks or so more, but I need to set a hard line for myself...for now.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back