Need some help with Koss buying decision for portable phones
Mar 28, 2006 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

auris

100+ Head-Fier
I need to get a set of headphones for use with a minidisc player. I'd like to be able to wear them while exercising. Eight now, the earbuds I have play loudly, but sound horrendous. I tried using an old set of HD 424 Sennheisers, (they claim to be highly efficient, but have a 2k impedance) but have to max out the volume to achieve a barely satisfactory listening level.

Searching the past threads here, I've run across a number of recommendations for Koss KSC 75's (all of $12 at amazon), and Porta Pro (which I see are available for $39.95). The Porta Pro's are DJ models. They also list Porta Pro 2's for $19.99.

The usual logic would be that to get better sound I should spend more, but I know that really does not always apply to headphone purchases.

Would like some opinions on whether the higher priced models have any significant sonic advantages, or whether the KSC 75's sound about like the PortaPro models.

If there's anything else out there for say, $70 or less that would work nicely , I'm open for recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Well I can tell you that the Koss KSC75's for the price are definately a deal. I went and picked up a pair because of all the buzz.
evil_smiley.gif
. Anyways the sound is quite good. Also I like them as I can run with them on and they wont fall off. They would make a great gift for anyone that has there crappy earbuds that came with there device
k1000smile.gif
. Clarity seems good and bass is present but not overwhelming. Some may have a love hate relationship for the clips that go around the ears. To me they were no problem and actually quite comfy. To me it had more of a Grado sound rather then a Sennheiser sound in comparison. Just dont try to compare these 12$ headphones to the higher end stuff. With that said if you have $70 to play with you can do better. Im a big fan of the Sennheiser HD497's. If you can find a pair check those out. First phones I owned that were far superior to all my cheapies. But for the price would I buy the koss again, you bet!

Hope that helps some.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Portapro has more bass due to a tighter fit on your ears. The drivers are closer to your eardrum. The drivers are similar (not the same).

Some prefer the KSC75 for being airier and less boomy. Others like the more impactful bass on the Portapro.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by auris
I need to get a set of headphones for use with a minidisc player. I'd like to be able to wear them while exercising. Eight now, the earbuds I have play loudly, but sound horrendous. I tried using an old set of HD 424 Sennheisers, (they claim to be highly efficient, but have a 2k impedance) but have to max out the volume to achieve a barely satisfactory listening level.

Searching the past threads here, I've run across a number of recommendations for Koss KSC 75's (all of $12 at amazon), and Porta Pro (which I see are available for $39.95). The Porta Pro's are DJ models. They also list Porta Pro 2's for $19.99.

The usual logic would be that to get better sound I should spend more, but I know that really does not always apply to headphone purchases.

Would like some opinions on whether the higher priced models have any significant sonic advantages, or whether the KSC 75's sound about like the PortaPro models.

If there's anything else out there for say, $70 or less that would work nicely , I'm open for recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Buy both and you can mix and match. This will give you not only the KSC75 driver that you can also use on the Porta headband but the KSC35 driver (stock on the Portapros) that you can use on the KSC75 earclips. Best of both worlds.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Permit me to buck the stream here a bit -
I've been a runner for 20+ years, and I can't stand to have sweat on headphone foam cushions - PortaPro and KSC75 included. Besides the gross prospect of having dried-in sweat, it will deteriorate the foam exponentially. I would also be suspect of the KSC75's with really rigorous exercise. I am a great fan of those phones - have two and will buy more - but I don't think the earclips are sufficient.

I would opt for a higher quality earbud, instead - the Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 are cheap - about $10 and $15, respectively. They have brilliant highs, but strong lows as well. They can take about as much 'MegaBass' as you can feed them and sound strong. They are a fantastic improvement over almost anyone else's earbuds, and at a fantastic price.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Permit me to buck the stream here a bit -
I've been a runner for 20+ years, and I can't stand to have sweat on headphone foam cushions - PortaPro and KSC75 included. Besides the gross prospect of having dried-in sweat, it will deteriorate the foam exponentially. I would also be suspect of the KSC75's with really rigorous exercise. I am a great fan of those phones - have two and will buy more - but I don't think the earclips are sufficient.

I would opt for a higher quality earbud, instead - the Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 are cheap - about $10 and $15, respectively. They have brilliant highs, but strong lows as well. They can take about as much 'MegaBass' as you can feed them and sound strong. They are a fantastic improvement over almost anyone else's earbuds, and at a fantastic price.

That's a very good point. Earbuds or IEM's (like the EP-630) would definitely be better in a situation where sweat is involved.

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Buy both and you can mix and match. This will give you not only the KSC75 driver that you can also use on the Porta headband but the KSC35 driver (stock on the Portapros) that you can use on the KSC75 earclips. Best of both worlds.
evil_smiley.gif

Exactly what I do!! I am currently using the KSC75 drivers clipped on to the Portapro2 headband, although the Portapro drivers don't stay very tight on the 75's clips! Hey, for these prices, I shouldn't even be Picky!!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back