Need some help with headphone stand design
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iandh

New Head-Fier
I just recently purchased my first decent set of cans (AD700's, LOVE them), and realized I hate laying them on my desk or hanging them over my monitor. I don't really like the look of the bananna stands I've seen, and I don't like the fact that they just have a narrow wire hook which deforms the headband pad as they hang on it. This isn't really a problem for my particular set, but it is a problem for many. The hook should be wide and padded. I've done some looking around for one to buy, but there seems to be hole in the market as far as an inexpensive but quality stand meant specifically for headphones.

Anyways, I have some extra material on hand down at my laser cutter (I normally make custom computer parts), so I've decided to design an attractive, high quality, very low cost headphone stand. It will be made from mild steel, and I'll most likely have them done in both satin black and gloss silver powdercoat. The base will also be mild steel and will be attached to the upright with a hidden TIG weld, and there with be rubber sticky feet to keep it in place and prevent it from damaging one's desk.

I won't go into pricing or further self-advertisement (as far as how they can be purchased), because that isn't why I created this thread, and I'm not insterested in violating the forum TOS. I need help and advice on the design. The only reason I'm even making a whole batch is that the minimum at my laser cutter is $175, so obviously that doesn't work for just one set.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you could provide me with the width of the headband on your cans, and the height from the headband to where the bottom of the earcups would hang, then I can get an idea of what general size this thing needs to be to make it fit most headphones. Any design suggestions are very welcome...

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
copy the sony sa5000 stand?
smily_headphones1.gif

<_<

Just found a pic on google images, looks pretty cool but I was thinking along a little different lines... I wanted to make the upright in the back of the stand with the hook going towards the front (much like many of the stands in the DIY forum), so that the earcups wouldn't need to be spread apart (on some sets) to get the headphones on to it.

I haven't seen those yet, that must be the widest headband in existence...
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
You could... take a banana stand, and straighten the hook out. Wrap it in something, if you were so inclined. It'd work for both headband and AT cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back