Need some help with D2000 setup
May 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

DDVX

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I had a few questions about amps and sources for the D2000's that I'm planning on getting soon. I've been reading around quite a bit but it's a bit confusing for someone just starting out to figure out what I need to power them. I've got all of my music on my laptop, in foobar. I know that the D2000's sound a good deal better with an amp. I've been reading a lot of threads around and have heard different amp and dac recommendations: Audio GD Compass, M^3 Amp, Little Dot MK V, Matrix M-Stage Amp, Pico USB Dac/Amp, Head Direct EF-1, Zero dac, etc.
First and foremost, do I need a soundcard for my computer or will the dac and amp cover the sound quality?
Second, do I need both an amp and DAC? I guess if my music is coming from the computer, it seems like it would require a DAC but I wanted to make sure. and how are amp/dac combos like the Pico (although that one is a bit out of my price range)?
Third, do I need any other source components?

I just wanted to make sure I cover all of the bases. I know there are a lot of mods for the D2000 that I'm also wanting to invest in, so I'm trying to keep my budget around $300 for amp and whatever else I need. Hopefully that isn't too small.

Finally, any suggestions on the best bang for my buck would be greatly appreciated. Most of the amps and dacs I mentioned above are outside of my price range (unless I buy used I suppose).

Thanks!

May 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 37
1. If you have a $1000 sound card or a $10 sound card, the DAC will be your main source component. The sound card does not matter, as the source is via DAC now.
2. Depends what you want. Some people say DAC is more important than an amp, some say an amp is more important. Generally, getting both (lets say you have a $1000 budget, getting a $500 DAC and $500 Amp would be generally better than a $1000 Amp per say.) Some amp/dac combinations are excellentby having one unit with two things going on at once does not necessarily mean it's not better than two separate ones when it comes to a low budget rig. As long as the DAC and Amp are both fair, you're good to go!
3. Other source components are probably not needed for now if you listen your music mostly from the computer. Unless you have a vinyl collection, you'll probably need a turntable.
Other amps you can consider are: KICAS (non caliente) for the Denons.

Good luck, and hope that helps. If somebody see something that could be corrected with my statements please do. I'm still learning around here, and I'm passing on some knowledge that I have obtained through out my stay on head-fi as of now...

May 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 37
I'm powering my D2k's off a Maverick D1 right now and think they sound great, brand new the D1 is 200 bucks and acts as both a DAC and an AMP. I can't really bring myself to pay a thousand bucks for the sake of headphone listening, but more power to those that do.

May 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 37

Thank you both for the replies. Gknix, so you're saying that i dont need a sound card at all right? And ill keep your comments about the dac in mind. The count, that sounds like a good deal. I hadn't heard of that one before. I read in the review thread of it that one guy with a D5000 felt like it gave out if he turned it up to a certain volume. Have you experienced that at all? Other than that, from the reviews I've read it sounds like a great deal. Have you compared it to other amps by chance (whether better or not). I haven't gotten to try out different amps so im curious as to the differences and how much the extra money is worth it.
Finally, one last noob question. So is this connecting to my computer by usb?

Edit: Also, Maverick Tube Magic D1 vs. Matrix M-Stage amp? And if I get a addon equalizer in foobar will that be sufficient enough for accurate tweaking?

May 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 37
If you get an USB DAC you don't need the soundcard, if the DAC is optical or coax you will need something that outputs those signals, of course. Take a look at the Audinst HUD (DAC and AMP), that just got a number of very favorable reviews and at 180USD it's quite decently priced. The Audio GD Fun might be another option.

I cant listen to my D2000 out of my laptop, even a 100$ USB DAC/Amp will do tremendous good for them.

May 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 37
You need a uDAC and a Heed Canamp. I have heard those two have great synergy.

May 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 37
Alright well I've got a lot more choices. Is there any difference in terms of pros and cons when comparing USB connection to optical or coaxial? Also I've been looking at some of these recommendations online and some are tube amps. I've heard these don't drive the D2000's as well, but I'm sure there are exceptions? Also I was reading on the Heed Canamp and on their website it said it could "drive virtually any headphones from 32 ohms up to 600 ohms." The D2000's are 25 ohm headphones. Should that be a concern?

Currently the list I'm looking at based on your recommendations:
Maverick Tube Magic D1 ($200) (amp and dac)
Matrix M-Stage amp ($250, probably would get Udac with it for $99??)
Audio GD Fun ($330) (amp and dac)
Audinst HUD-MX1 ($179) (amp and dac)
Heed Canamp ($400, with Udac for $99)

Because I'm lower on funds, the fun and canamp are probably out of range unless the difference is like night and day. The Udac seems like a great deal, but would it be money wasted if I buy a built in dac and amp like the D1 or MX1? Also, as always, other amps or preferences between these ones that I've got listed are a great deal of help. Thanks all.

May 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 37
You could also just get the uDac and see if the built in amp suits your need, that would be by far the cheapest option. I would expect the D1 and MX1 to be a step up from the uDac but I have heard none of them...

May 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 37
From all I ready, I would keep the D2000 and get the J$ pads for it :wink:

May 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 37
K3cT, I've heard from quite a few sources that buying D2000's and modding them can get the D5000 sound for cheaper. Plus, I think that spending more money on an amp might be more advantageous than buying a more expensive pair of headphones and sacrificing a decent amp? I might be wrong.

The mods I've been looking at are:
J$ pads
Markl mods
recabling
wooden cups

All pretty much the average mods. Obviously these will be improvements over time. I can't afford them all right now. Plus, I know that the Markl mod can be a DIY so I might try that.

I've been looking at it more I suppose and can narrow it down to:
Udac ($99) (possibly with an additional amp)

The M-stage is also good but I don't see that many people talking about it. So can anyone who has used any of these amps tell me how they are? I feel like I'm doing the D2000's a disservice if I get the Udac, but that is just from a price standpoint. I feel like they might underpower it. If anyone feels otherwise let me know. Right now the D1 is looking like a great deal.

May 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 37
Wait until sometime next week if you want to hear commentary on how the M-Stage performs with the D2000. My NG98 drives it pretty ok (so far, haven't heard it with anything better) but suffers of channel imbalance at sane listening volumes.

Furthermore, I think doing both J$ and markl may be a bit over the top, I sure don't feel like the bass is overpowering on my J$ equipped D2000.

May 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 37
Right well I meant one or the other. Doesn't Markl do inside mods as well as the pads and J$ is just pads? Either way I hear both are good. I thought markl was basically the J$ plus more (although I know it's two different companies). Do you feel like the J$ is good enough on its own? And please do keep in touch, I'd love to know how the M-stage does with it.

May 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
K3cT, I've heard from quite a few sources that buying D2000's and modding them can get the D5000 sound for cheaper. Plus, I think that spending more money on an amp might be more advantageous than buying a more expensive pair of headphones and sacrificing a decent amp? I might be wrong.

The mods I've been looking at are:
J$ pads
Markl mods
recabling
wooden cups

All pretty much the average mods. Obviously these will be improvements over time. I can't afford them all right now. Plus, I know that the Markl mod can be a DIY so I might try that.

I've been looking at it more I suppose and can narrow it down to:
Udac ($99) (possibly with an additional amp)

The M-stage is also good but I don't see that many people talking about it. So can anyone who has used any of these amps tell me how they are? I feel like I'm doing the D2000's a disservice if I get the Udac, but that is just from a price standpoint. I feel like they might underpower it. If anyone feels otherwise let me know. Right now the D1 is looking like a great deal.

I used to own the D2000 and modded it myself. After going through that, now I feel that it's not worth the hassle. You're better off going with the D5000 and if you like the sound signature, move up with the D7000 later down the road. The difference between the D5000 and D7000 is worth the price differentials.

The D2000 needs a forgiving source due to its harsh characteristics so the mellow uDAC suits this very well. The uDAC also has a forward midrange which complements the D2000's recessed one very well.

May 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 37

Quote:
Right well I meant one or the other. Doesn't Markl do inside mods as well as the pads and J$ is just pads? Either way I hear both are good. I thought markl was basically the J$ plus more (although I know it's two different companies). Do you feel like the J$ is good enough on its own? And please do keep in touch, I'd love to know how the M-stage does with it.

I am a Matrix M-Stage owner with the D2000s and J$ pads. First and foremost - the pair just sound fantastic to my ears. I think the M-Stage is such an outstanding amp and to me really provides awesome detail and power to bring out the best in the D2000. I would describe the low end as "chest thumping" but in a really accurate and clean manner - not muddy or unpleasant in any way. Some people speak poorly of the D2000's bass - I love it and love it much more with the M-Stage. All that being said - you'll definitely need a DAC and I can't comment on the uDac as I've never heard it. I love my DacMagic but that's $429 - many highly recommend the vDac but it's still $299. I'd consider the Matrix (it's just a gem IMO) with a uDac maybe and upgrade the Dac later when you have the dough if you want to.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back