need some help. sony ex71 vs ex81 vs PANASONIC RP-HJE50
Jan 8, 2006 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

noktekniq

New Head-Fier
sony ex71 vs ex81 vs PANASONIC RP-HJE50

which is is the best or daily listening in a ourdoorish environment? i nee dthe sound quality and the sort of noise cancellation. i prefer something long lasting. if you have something to recomment that are IEM for around <$40 i'm willing to take into consideration.

what i need:
1. earphones that has quality and last long.
2. replacement that would beat the ipod headphones.
3. need some thump like the bass, but not too much that would cause bad music quality
3. no/or very little leakage in the sound form the headphones.
4. nothing above $40 in price range.

please vote and tell me why you recommend the headphone you choose. those in the polls are the ones i'm taking into consideration but others that you recommend please post. the reason for this is because i'm not sure what is good for under $40 and i know a bunch of audiophiles out here know what is the best. thanks

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 20
The EX-71 don't even come close to satisfying your first need as their build quality was atrocious in my experience. The cable is too soft and with regular use it will eventually rip open exposing the wires within. My guess would be that the EX-81 have similar build quality so I would stay away from those as well. I haven't heard the panasonics so I can't comment on them but if your budget can stretch a couple more dollars I think you should look into the Shure E2c.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 20
I never tried the Panasonics, so I didn't vote. But to my subjective ears the Sharp MD33s sound considerably better than the Sony's, and they are in your price range ($39 at AudioCubes).

I prefer the MD33s for my daily bus/subway commuting over my more expensive ER-6s and E3s because insertion and removal is much quicker and easier than the deep-insertion ER-6s and the behind-the-ear E3s, and the behind-the-ear setup of the E3s is difficult to use with a backpack. The SQ is great. And since they are considerably less expensive, I don't mind them taking the beating of my New Jersey/Manhattan commute. They have held up very well for the past 1.5 years of daily use. The only problem I have had is a lost ear tip (my fault).

The only downside for me with the MD33s is that they use a 4-pole plug and come with a too-long (1 meter) 4-to-3 pole converter cable for use with a non-Sharp source, requiring a cable wrap for portable use. You have to mod the plug (a bridge between poles 3 & 4) with a little solder to get it to work without the meter long converter and a non-Sharp source, but then at 20 inches you are left with a short cable that is a little awkward to use. It would be nice if they just had a 6 inch long converter cable, or better yet - just made a 3-pole version with a normal cable length.

The MD33s might not have the low-end punch that you desire. Do the research in these forums before you consider them. But then again...I don't think any of the IEMs at this price point will give you exactly what you are looking for with respect to your need #3.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 20
I bought the EX71 about a year ago.

My worst headphone experience (aside from bottom feeder $5 cheapies).

I tried to like them. I even burned them in for a few days. But MAN did they sound screechy and annoying. Cymbols sounded the worst.

I returned them and decided to "go all the way" and am perfectly happy with my Etymotic ER4-P.

I understand if you can't go the Ety route cost wise, but I can't reccommend the EX71 at any price. That bad to me.

The only positive thing I can say about them is they are comfortable. That's it.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 20
i've had the ex71's for 1.5 years now and they were awesome when i first got them. but now, they're starting to fatigue my ears. i've heard good things about the panasonics, so i'd try those.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
i went through 3 pairs of ex71's in 6 months

the build quility is really awful

Mine only lasted 3 months.
I only bought one. Right away I said "never again". It's better to save and buy a pair or REAL IEMs.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 20
Hey, I was stuck like you also! I got the shures e2, waste of money, werent comfy, good isolation and well built, but for $99.99, NO WAY! I sold them right away, I wanted an ex71 or ex51 or jvc ha-fx55 or the panasonics, I got the panasonics, the 71 break and sound crappy and are over powered by the bass, 51 arent that great but comfy, the jvc are alright qaulity, really cheap, panasonics, comfy, good sounding, and isolation but a little more then the jvc and ex51....I bought them, WOW REALLLLLLLLLLLY comfortable, I havent tried them in a noisy enviroment, but I cant hear myself type, hear the tv 5 feet away or someong talking to me 3 feet away and they cant hear my music at ALL!! Thats the main reason I got these hje50's, because they block about 75% outside noise, enough for me, and they only leak a TINY bit of noise a little under full blast when no other sound is around and the other person is trying to find some noice, but other then that, there GREAT! These are like Shures in everyway, but a lot cheaper, more comfortable for me, but ill admit the Shures sounded more clear and crisp then these, but when I put them on, I get a headache...the panasonics are really nice for anyone, I think you should get them, dont get the shures, waste of money! trust me, there nice and all, but too much, should be like $59.99 not $99.99, if your going to spend $99.99 get some Etymotic Er6 or Er6i or some Super Fi.3, but in your price range, get the hje50, check out my review...worth everypenny...get them off amazon for like $25-30 SHIPPED!
John

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 20
i owned 2 ex-71 and both of the cables degraded.... mind u i keep my stuff in tip-top conditions.. i'm not one of those ppl that mistreat their items and say that it 'broke' for no reason at all... i just recently bought the panasonics..

i have to say that the mids and highs on the panasonics are higher than the sonys... but wut is missing is the bass... i really like the deep bloated bass from the sonys (call me crazy).. but yah i dont recommend the sonys cuz even though i miss the bass it will ruin itself in 4 months and u will have to buy another pair... i mean y support a company that obviously doesnt care bout the customer

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_ninja
i have to say that the mids and highs on the panasonics are higher than the sonys...but wut is missing is the bass...
[size=medium]but wut is missing is the bass[/size]
[size=large]but wut is missing is the bass[/size]
[size=x-large]but wut is missing is the bass[/size]
[size=xx-large]but wut is missing is the bass[/size]

WOWOWOWOW!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS, On some songs the bass on the panasonics get staticy because its too much for the earphones, wow, maybe not right seal or not right EQ but I have more then plenty of bass...
John

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilJohn148
WOWOWOWOW!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS, On some songs the bass on the panasonics get staticy because its too much for the earphones, wow, maybe not right seal or not right EQ but I have more then plenty of bass...
John

just what i need.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back