Need some help selecting a DAP with good playlist support and micro SD slot under $300
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aak57

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using an iPod Touch 4G for a while, and while the device performs fine I've grown tired of being limited to 32GB since it means I either have to sacrifice quality or quantity (that and not being able to use FLAC is annoying).  So I'm looking for something new and willing to spend up to $300. 

My wants:

1. At least 16/32GB of flash storage with support for 64GB micro SD card
  2. Quality playlist support (I pretty much only use playlists, so something with a UI based only on folder structure is a no-go)
  3. Enough power to drive a pair of modded T50RP,s or ability to work well with an E11
  4. I don't need iPod sleek in terms of device aesthetics/UI but it'd be nice to have something at least somewhat intuitive with decent form factor.

I've done a bit of research and it seems like the Cowon Z2 might be a good choice since I could root it to get a good audio playing program with playlist support from the play store.  However, I'm pretty ignorant of what's on the market so I'd really appreciate some guidance. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Go to iaudiophile.net and ask your question. I'm not going to recommend the Cowon Z2, but you'll get more answers there. Me, I'd pass,...it's too buggy & Cowon really dropped the ball with their Android players. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the heads up about that place, but I'm not set on getting a Cowon or anything and I'm not certain how unbiased a place like that would be.  The Colorfly DAPs seem cool but apparently they don't have playlists.  :/ 

As for the Z2, would you mind elaborating on the bugginess and issues with the android players?

EDIT:  Well, I've been doing some more research and it seems like I'm pretty much stuck with one of the Cowon models which seem to always have complaints about the UI/functionality.  Neither Apple nor Sony believe in micro SD slots for whatever reason and there really doesn't seem to be too much else worth considering at my price point other than the Colorfly DAPs which I won't get because they only have folder support.  :/

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually the people on iaudiophile.net are more critical of the Z2,...most were disappointed after they purchased it. I'm not one who bought it, because they warned me AGAINST it. They tend to be quite unbiased,...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back