Need some help in creating MP3's
Jul 29, 2003 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the advanced stages of cancer with not very much time left and thought as a legacy I would put much of the music I have enjoyed throughout my life on a hard drive based MP3 player and give it to one of my nephews. I have set up a music library and comfortable using Windows Media Player but for this project, I would like the music quality of the transfer to be as good as I can get it.

I have really appreciated this place as I have gained lots of good information about headphones and amps which has guided me in buying some gear that I have been enjoying very much.

I expecting a Nomad Jukebox 2 to arrive in a few days which is what I will use to download lots of music to from my hard drive. I have heard mostly here, about the superior quality produced by using Lame and EAC. I am having a difficult time understanding how to use Lame and EAC in conjuction with my already created library in Windows Media Player. Honestly I have not downloaded either because it seems overwhelming to me. I also hear that Notmad is a better way to go with the NJB 2 than the software that Creative provides.

What I am wondering, is there an online source where I can get a better understanding as to how to work with Lame and EAC or a very simple alternative that I can use to rip CD's and produce better fidelity than WMP and still maintain my WMP library format? How significant is the difference between WMP and the alternatives?

What I really think I need is a generous person that I can call on the phone to take me through the process of the mechanics as I am not all that computer literate and probably a little mentally challenged from the side effects of so much chemotherapy. If anyone would be open to being available that way, please send me a PM

Jul 29, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 5
If someone thinks I'm wrong suggesting this that say so but I think CDex is almost as not just as good a program as EAC + LAME.

You can download it here.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

After you've installed it open the program
Go to option -> settings -> Remote CDDB and fill in Your E-mail address. -> OK

This will allow the program to acces the internet and add id3 tags to your mp3's (that's the title and singer etc.)

Go to options -> settings again and choose Encoder.
Choose the Lame mp3 encoder from the dropdown menu.
Then you can choose your settings for whatever quality you'll want.With the settings menu you can set it so that it will ripp into wave first and then convert to mp3.

In the options settings menu you can also choose the way you want your filenames to look like. Just go to 'filenames' and configure your filename format and choose the folders you want your wave's and mp3's to end up in (choose the same folder for both)

Put in a CD in the CD-rom station and if the id3 tags are not shown click on the second button from under on the right side of the screen. (the one with the looking glass) (sorry for my English)
That wat you ca nmake contact to the remote CDDB and get the info of titles and singers (as said id3tags)

When you find that info to be correct you can start converting your CD's into mp3's by clicking on the second icon from above on the right side of the screen.

Hope this helps!

And I wish you all the best with your struggle with cancer. Hope you can find all the strenght you'll need.

Jul 29, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 5
http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/mp3.html

Download the 8th package down (LAME 3.90.2 SPECIAL BUILD 2003-01-20), then at the command line:

LAME filename.wav

This will create an excellent quality MP3 file from any Wave file (in the same folder) -- as far as EAC, I can't offer any suggestions except try to find a copy of 0.9 Prebeta 11 (much simpler and more basic to use, imo).

There's no way to convert .wma or other already-created compressed files to a higher-quality format. You have to start with high quality (like .wav files) and compress these to MP3, otherwise you merely lose quality in transcoding to another format and/or a higher bitrate. In other words, if you have pre-existing "lossy" compressed files then they're already as high quality as they'll ever be.

I'm not much as far as the phone (I leave it off most of the time), but please don't hesitate to PM me if you wish and I'll give you my Email address -- would be happy to walk you through it via Email or a direct online chat forum -- whatever's easier for you. The written format would actually be easier in some ways than walking someone thru it over the phone, I think.

Best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back