Need some help getting DVD ide drive to work
Jul 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dBel84

Cavalli Tinkerer at large
I thought I would be smart and pick up a cheap dvd burner for my asus
confused_face.gif

I have a usb - ide (pata/sata) cable which works perfectly for any drive I have tried it on but for some reason I can't get the dvd to work. The dvd is powered from an external 12V/5V supply designed for this purpose and the cable works with the harddrives i have set to slave.

The burner is a samsung SH-S222L lightscribe and is supposed to be PATA/IDE . I set it to slave but have tried all other options when that failed.

any help appreciated..dB

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 11
I am kind of confused as to what the cable you have actually does. If you have a Ide to Sata cable the slave/master settings should not matter because sata doesn't need that.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Does the drive work inside a machine? It's fairly common for CD/DVD drives to fail, I keep throwing them out and still have a box of 10.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 11
It is a fairly bog standard usb to ide cable i bought so that I could hook up drives externally without the need to put them inside a case - the specifics are not important but there was a point that I had a pile of hard drives and needed to see what was on them. This cable made that process painless and has served well as a hook up for most ide based drives since then.

I was looking for a simple solution to adding a dvd burner to the asus and this seemed like the obvious way to go at the time ..dB

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 11
If the drive doesn't power on when you connect it properly with your kit, it's a dud.

On a side note, I hope the kit you have is designed better than the one I tried with my (now dead) PX-230A. The Molex connector on my cable had a dodgy design, and the 12v and 5v wires were mixed up in the process, as the connector could actually be plugged in upside down
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 11
With that type of cable I usually have the best success if I set it up in this order:
  1. Plug IDE adapter into drive
  2. Plug molex power into drive
  3. Plug adapter into machine via USB

I've had problems with drives sometimes not getting recognized if I do this in any other order. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Also try cable select and master settings on your drive.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 11
My ide dvd writer used to work intermittently with my old PC, whose HDD eventually died. I use the same one with my new PC and it works 99% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back