Need some help finding some new music
Sep 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
Lately I've been growing a little bored with my music collection. Mostly because I cant seem to find any new artists that interest me. I mainly listen to Rock, rap, r&b, acoustic, and all sorts of music; just not trance, metal or really out there alternative music. Basically if it can get my toe tapping i like it.
L3000.gif

I really like artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marving Gaye, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Frames, Jack Johnson, Van Morrison, Gogol Bordello. I know that doesnt really narrow it down but if you think i should give it a shot then i would be more than happy to give it a listen to see if i like it.
Thanks
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 7
Pandora is pretty good for finding new material, or sometimes just reminding you about some bands you forgot about. FM radio, especially college stations, can be a good source also, but they often make it hard to ID what you just heard.

This here news group is particularly good for finding new stuff. The peeps here got me started with Opeth and Porcupine Tree, two groups I'd never heard of before.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks man i really enjoy Porcupine Tree and ill probably buy a few of there albums. About Opeth, i heard them before and i liked their songs okay i just could never really get into their music. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Lately I have been listening to MF Doom or just Doom since his spat with Marvel comics.

As you appreciate rap, you may well like him. He did one album with Dangermouse (from gnarls barkley) called Dangerdoom that is a great little album.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 7
yeah definitely check out pandora and last.fm.

Pandora is an online radio program that makes stations based on bands that you enter into the program. The radio then takes characteristic of the groups you entered and finds other bands that share similar characteristics.

Last.fm is a plugin for your media player that monitors the music that you play through the media player and relays the information to Last.fm. It logs the music you listen to, and puts it into a graphical analysis and all sorts of junk, it also provides suggestions on other groups you make like.

Both are completely free and absolutely fantastic resources for finding new music.

Also if you enjoy a particular group, try looking at their record label and seeing if they have any other groups signed. Generally record labels stick to one genre of music so if you enjoy one group they signed chances are you may enjoy another group that is also signed to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back