Need some help deciding
Dec 13, 2004 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

As you can easily guess from the title, I'm getting new headphones and I thought I'd ask some knowledgeable people - to whom audio is a passion. Also, some of you might even have experience with these headphones.

Now, the situation:
I've been using a cheap-but-good headhone so far, but it's cable broke, and I thought 'I need a better one anyway...'
My intention is to use it for recording and music editing with my PC, practicing and for simply listening to music (what they were made for, anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
).
However, my other hobby, playing bass, has left me near-in-the-red with the purchase of preamp, poweramp and cabinet, so I need a headphone which has a good compromise of features and price. I'm looking to spend around $60-70 at the most.

What I am looking for:
Sound: as my main instrument is a 6-stringer bass, I need something that can go deep (30 Hz) and has strong lows. Also, I prefer tighter lows to a big, muddy mess; and articulate mids, with smoother highs.
Comfort: if its comfortable for a few hours, that will do.
Construction: doesn't really matter to me whether it's closed, semi-open or open.
Should also be capable of beign driven without a headphone amp.
Music I play and listen to: well, it's a really wide range, from jazz to funk to rock to metal to classical, but, as I said, a good bass range is really important.

Some ideas I came up with:
Beyerdynamic DT231 Pro. Positive review at the reviews section, but does it have strong enough lows?
Beyer DTX 800. Review at the same place; can be had new for a not-so-bad price on eBay.de
AKG 240 Studio. I've heard good things about it elsewhere; some used ones pop up on eBay.de
AKG 141 Studio. Same as above.
AKG K401. Nice review here, and pops up ocassionally on eBay.de.

So, which of these would you recommend? Or what else would you add to that list? Please bear in mind that the availability of some brands is very limited in my country - AKGs, Beyers, Sennheisers and Sonys are available, but Etymotic, Grado and others are not.

Thank you in advance:
Frank

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Given your need for bass extension into the low region, your budget and your "no amp" constraint, I can say from experience that I think you'd be quite happy with a pair of AKG K240S. I like them very much without an amp. To my ear, they have good bass extension and abundant, well-formed bass. Their mids are really nice and the highs are clear and open without a hint of harshness. The earcups are VERY comfortable as well. Their performance improves nicely with an amp (enough to make the investment in the amp worth the money) - for later.

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply!

I'm already keeping my eyes open for them popping up on eBay. I also saw a used one at a shop, but it was almost $95 and the shop was in another city... so it's eBay or bust...

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Frank: I wouldn't really recommend the K240S for ampless use, although it's still my favourite headphone. Instead I'd recommend you to check the Creative HQ-1300 and/or the Beyerdynamic DT440.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back