Need some help deciding on a dac and amp or combo unit
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

luckyeights

100+ Head-Fier
So i actualy am looking for possibly 2 diffrent solutions one mobile for my laptop and one for my desktop or both if there is a solution that would be good in that regard.  I have Audio tecchnica m50x and senn ie80s.  I love the sound out of both of them all warm and cozy sounding very relaxing i love them both.  I dont like sound that is how should i say sharp, cold or analyticla?, i have to get rid of headphones that sound like this as they give me headaches in a short time of listening.    I will be using this dac/amp for music games movies you name it they will be omnivores!

My bigest concern is just having good quality sound, I dont typically care for flashy software with a bunch of tossed in second rate virtual crap.  Becuase this always seems to stop working in a year when the company moves on to thier new shiny product and stop updating/fixing the last product (looking at you creative labs).  

So now that you know what my preference is and what i have for headphones im looking for some dacs/amps or combos for these.  some that iv looked at.  Oh and my budget is roughly $200 ish if its like omg you have to get such and such its so much better for $250 than sure no problem. 

mobile options for laptop or both for desktop?:

Schiit Fulla  (heard this is better than e10k?)
Fiio e10k
audio engine d1  (not sure how this one ranks but it looks classy)
Soundblaster e5 (i dont know if i trust creative labs bad past experiences)
Asus xonar u7
Fiio e17k (not sure about this becuase I like to have a volume knob)

Any other suggestions or ones i should look at?

Desktop options only:
Schiit stack modi 2 and magni 2
JDS Odac and O2

Heard these 2 options are pretty similar in SQ and performance so get which ever is on sale?

Any other suggestions? 

So what do you guys think.  This will be my first step into this market of dacs and amps.  Iv had sound cards in my pc before a creative labs xfi wich i tore out of my pc becuase creative drivers SUCK and it caused all sort of crashing issues for some of my games i play. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 3
You can save a bit of cash and just get the Ibasso D-Zero MkII. If you ever get any headphones that it can't drive well then get an amp or DAC-HPamp for home use for it, but then again how likely is that for you? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back