Need some help deciding on a DAC/AMP for my PC.
Apr 18, 2008 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
I've almost bought an E-MU 0404 USB a few times now... but I really dislike the way it looks. Shallow, I know... But when I'm buying a 200.00 device thats going to be sitting on my desk 24x7 I'd really like it to look nice.

Whatever device I get will be used as both a DAC and headphone amp. So my requirements are that whatever I get both be a proficient DAC and have a passable headphone out. As a poor college student I just don't have the money to buy separate head phone amp and a DAC right now. Hope you understand
biggrin.gif

I think I've loo ed at just about every device out there that falls into this criteria, but there seems to be a general lack in information on the quality of the headphone amp in most of the devices... Are there any better looking alternatives to the 0404 USB?

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 18
There's the M-audio firewire solo that falls into that pro-audio external DAC + headphone amp category similar to the E-Mu.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the M-audio firewire solo that falls into that pro-audio external DAC + headphone amp category similar to the E-Mu.

Yep, I'm familiar with it... I've just never found any info on how the headphone amp compares to whats in the 0404 USB. Thats the issue I've run into on most 0404 USB alternatives.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically you're wanting a <$200 DAC/amp other than the EMU 0404 that has the best amp. That could be a popular poll thread if you listed a few contenders and included an option for other.

Exactly.

Eventually I will be buying a stand alone headphone amp, but until then I need a decent integrated headphone amp to get me by.

The poll is a good idea, thanks. I will try that if I don't get a rather definitive answer in this thread.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headamp Pico?

Quote:

Pre-order pricing for the Pico is $299 as a headphone amp only, or $499 with the optional 24/96 USB DAC, plus shipping.

Ouch. I'm sure its an awesome device, but out of my budget by a lot.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread may help

Thanks for the link.

In summary it basically says the E-Mu is one of the best DAC's under 200.00 and doesn't really mention about an all in one DAC+amp. [well the Pico is mentioned, but agai nout of my budget.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back