Need some headphones that can be used on the bus/in library - need good soundstage and low noise leakage, balanced sound. recommendations?
Apr 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

chaza01

New Head-Fier
Hi 

So I need  some headphones that can be used on the bus/in library - need good soundstage and low noise leakage, balanced sound.  
I first though about the AT M50Xs, but the soundstage is not meant to be great.
Are the k451s any good (much of an upgrade over my px100IIs)?  What about AKG K550s or Denon Dt770s, or maybe Sennheiser momentums?

I don't have an amp but am thinking of getting one.  Would appreciate any recommendations.  Max £300.

Many thanks,

Charlie

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi,

You should take a look at Focal Spirit Professional.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Best Luck!

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 21
  Hi,

You should take a look at Focal Spirit Professional.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Best Luck!

Hey
Thanks for the recommendation, I've never heard of Focal before but these look very interesting.
Is the soundstage good on them (from what I've read they're very neutral, havent found anything on soundstage) - I don't mind a bit of bass but just not overly bassy :).

Basically would like some closed cans with sound rivalling open grado sr80s :)

Do the Focals fit the bill?

Best,

Charlie

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 21
Check out the A700x. It is similar to the m-50, but it sounds much more open (has a better sound stage, which the m50s really dont have much of one). It does have much less base though. I love my A700x. In my honest opinion though, sound stage is a little over rated. If you like electronic or pop, go with the m-50. (soundstage can be a little overrated. But the m-50s sound do very tight) If you want a spacious, closed, and great sound for $100, the A700x are pretty awesome!

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 21
I'd be wary of the A700X and other AT headphones that have the wings for portable use. I'd be afraid that the wings could get damaged carried in a backpack, etc.

The AKG K550 are well known for having perhaps the best soundstage for a closed headphone. You might also consider AKG K545. Slightly smaller soundstage and slightly different sound signature, but a little smaller--more portable.

Whether or not or which amp would be a good choice is dependent upon the headphones you choose and your source device. Decide on headphones first :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 21

Check out the A700x. It is similar to the m-50, but it sounds much more open (has a better sound stage, which the m50s really dont have much of one). It does have much less base though. I love my A700x. In my honest opinion though, sound stage is a little over rated. If you like electronic or pop, go with the m-50. (soundstage can be a little overrated. But the m-50s sound do very tight) If you want a spacious, closed, and great sound for $100, the A700x are pretty awesome!

I'd be wary of the A700X and other AT headphones that have the wings for portable use. I'd be afraid that the wings could get damaged carried in a backpack, etc.

The AKG K550 are well known for having perhaps the best soundstage for a closed headphone. You might also consider AKG K545. Slightly smaller soundstage and slightly different sound signature, but a little smaller--more portable.

Whether or not or which amp would be a good choice is dependent upon the headphones you choose and your source device. Decide on headphones first
smily_headphones1.gif

Would I need an amp if I went for the focal spirit classic?  Also, how would they compare to the akg 545 (550s too big for out and about, also I like detachable cable).
How about the HP50s?
I'lll look into the a700x, do look a tad big though :)
Regards,
Charlie 

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Look at SRH840. Not balanced, but a surprisingly easy going V-shape with an accurate soundstage.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 21
The Shure with build issues is 940, not 840; the Focal Pro too. The problem with 840 is the heavy headband but there are ways round that. I've stayed away from the Focals despite all the positive opinions about the sound because the earcups are small and I've read about the clamping.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 21
The Shure with build issues is 940, not 840; the Focal Pro too. The problem with 840 is the heavy headband but there are ways round that. I've stayed away from the Focals despite all the positive opinions about the sound because the earcups are small and I've read about the clamping.

Yeah me too as far as the focals are concerned.  I'll look into the Shures in that case, sounds promising.  What about the HP50s?  innerfidelity recommended them as an alternative to the focals due to their larger earcup size.  Your thoughts?
Thanks a lot by the way!

Charlie

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 21
I haven't tried HP50 because they're, by report and measurements, on the darker side of neutral and I prefer a lighter sound. Tyll prefers a warmer than neutral sound and said so on reddit.

Again with 840, bear in mind that headband. I've seen photos of the mods and I know they work because a guy I met here in Chicago did it.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm in the same boat as you. I started a thread with a poll of headphones I think would fit the bill for me. What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back