Need some headphone advice please
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 26
joomongj - Is the comfort really that ubearable? As suggested by a previous poster the comfort depends on the person. What headphones would you reccomend at an entry level price?
Thanks

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #17 of 26
The discomfort isn't unbearable. It just starts to take a toll once I wear 'em continuously stretching 2-4 hours. But I'd wager a guess that not all Grados are as heavy, which is probably true so wouldn't take my words too literally unless you're contemplatin' the exact same model. The gist of my post was to make you duly note Grado isn't known for the best comfort one could ask for the money. But the sonic quality is on the other hand appears capable enough to negate all the cussing that I have been spoutin' out all day, so that may explain why they continue to reign unabashedly in head-fi.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 26
Well if I take good care of them and they aren't drastically uncomfortable, I should be fine. I just don't want to go with the sennheisers purely because of comfort. Audio quality is a must and I don't want to be disappointed by the senns.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 26
Grado with comfies pad is comfortable enough I think (yeah the bowl pad is a bit less comfortable though)

then, if you have problem with grado's treble (too sharp), just go to Alessandro instead
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #20 of 26
Thank you joomongj for helping. From what I understand, sennheisers are good but the Grados are more "lively". For this reason I think I will go for them and take good care of them. TBH paper cups and string will probably be better than skullcandy lol. Great help from all of you guys. Thank you.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 26
You're welcome. Yeah, from what my ears have heard, Grados have that "lively" presentation...in the kind of "I'm in your face and going to take your lunch money" kind of way. It's not my cup of tea (since I listen to a lot of soundtracks mixed with Jpop), but I can see how it certainly would be awesome for most rock music.

Oh yeah...and since I don't remember it being said, welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet.
atsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 26
I own the MS1i and the HF2's with quarter modded comfies and bowls. MS1i's will ship to anywhere for the same price IIRC, which is why the have the widerspread base (since they are grado-ish sound but with international shipping). Also, you could try to snag a pair from the For Sale forums...it would be noticeably cheaper and still retain the resell value if you don't like them.

As for comfort, personally I can listen longer with the comfies. The issues with comfort are not unbearable, however I tend to listen to music for 3-6 hour stretches, so that's when the discomfort might kick in with longer durations. I can't help but love the sound though, so for me its more than worth it!

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 26
Thanks for the welcome. Certainly the most friendly and helpful forum I have been to. To henryhan - I will take a look at the MS1's in the for sale. I can already feel my wallet getting lighter
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Certainly the most friendly and helpful forum I have been to.

Oh we can all certainly be snooty, elitist, and downright argumentative too. Just you wait.
atsmile.gif

As for that feeling of your wallet getting lighter, just tell yourself that it's a great feature that will help it fit better in your pocket.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 26
The Grado SR60i are brilliant, not to mention bang on for your price range. The pads that come with them make them quite comfortable as well. Believe me, if you've only been listening to earbuds and skullcandys (oh, that name! lol) you will think Grados are the best thing you've ever heard, because they will be. Anyway, enjoy your Grados!

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 26
@ Germancub - That is exactly what I wanted to here
biggrin.gif

@ everyone - Hey guys, don't quite know if you will see this message but I bought the Grado's! Just waiting for them to be delivered. Thanks for all of your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back