Need some good IEMs for travel
Oct 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hamshu

New Head-Fier
I travel frequently, I fly from Shanghai to Atlanta, Shanghai/Atlanta to Japan, Shanghai/Atlanta to Venezuela, Shanghai/Atlanta to France. I also commute on subways frequently.
Sound isolation and Sound quality are my main concerns in an IEM.
I listen to classical music, classic rock, german industrial rock, rap, pop, soft rock, practically everything but yodel and country. I like to sleep on the plane with music and my earphones in. I use my blackberry for mp3s while on the road. My budget is under $200. Thanks for the help

Edit:I also like to run, I usually do 3 miles when home or abroad. So I need something that will cover that as well.

Right now I'm using some old ipod headphones. They are horrible. I usually listen to my music through my computer and my KRK RP-5 Rokits.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 16
If you want isolation, you can't beat etymotics, but they are a bit of a unique sound which for your type of music could surely be beaten. Look at sleek SA6's, they also have good isolation but are more flexible for music types.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 16
You might consider customs. I still consider my UE10-pros my best sounding cans. These are not fun to run in though. Some of the other brands are molded of silicone, and might work better for exercise.

Ety ER6i is my best exercise IEM - light, has a clip on the cord, and really sounds nice. Match these with current shuffle for a dynamite small package.

A great compromise is the Klipsch Image. I have the original one, very light and the sound is better than the ER6i (the Image costs twice what the ER6i costs too) No clip on the cord though, so some form of cord management would be needed. Otherwise even the tiny cords present on these small IEMs will cause them to dislodge while running.

These are the 3 IEMs that I own and use frequently. My ears don't hold iBuds well, so I really can't compare them for comfort etc, as they don't stay in my ears.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by utmiken@hotmail. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is for the Shure Se-530. Good seal and isolation from plane noise. I've been alternating their use with my Bose QC2 for noice cancellation.

Budget is $200 or less

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 16
I am afraid there is no phone which sounds and isolates great and is durable enough for running and sleeping. That's asking too much. - You should get a cheap pair for sports and a more expensive one for more serious listening. You could try RE2s with Comply T400 tips (though you'd have to buy them separately). That should be a good seal and sound for around 120. - As for the cheap ones: I don't know how well they sit in the ear, but the Soundmagic PL30 are allegedly good value for 20 $.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 16
The Etymotic Er4p is a little light on bass but still very good all around. The Q-jays and SA6's are similar. If you really want isolation, go for the ER4P and you can get used to its sound or EQ it to get it how you want.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 16
As for the running issue, I had a Audio Technica CK7 and it was great for sports. Good noise isolation and fit very well in my ear. You have to take care though, especially when crossing the streeets
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am afraid there is no phone which sounds and isolates great and is durable enough for running and sleeping. That's asking too much. - You should get a cheap pair for sports and a more expensive one for more serious listening. You could try RE2s with Comply T400 tips (though you'd have to buy them separately). That should be a good seal and sound for around 120. - As for the cheap ones: I don't know how well they sit in the ear, but the Soundmagic PL30 are allegedly good value for 20 $.

Thats a good suggestion, are their any good earbuds or over the ear clips for around 20-30 bucks? I'll prob spend bout 150-160 on a good pair of IEMs.
I'm thinking bout the Koss KSC75 or stock iPod headphones for running.

Also the sleep I'm referring to is in a airplane chair, business and coach class. So I like to tune out the airplane noise and sleep.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 16
For bass the westone has more but the er4 will likely win overall in clarity

For comfort its a tossup, my ety er6i's are as comfortable for me as i think universals can get but the westones are supposed to be extremely good

the er4 will win isolation hands down, nothing will beat it

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 16
I've owned both the UM1 and Etymotic ER4 and I would definitely go for the ER4p even if they are about $50-60 dollars more. I push the bass up a couple notches when I need to though. If you're player doesn't have a very capable EQ might pass it up for something a little more fun sounding when you take your musical taste in consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back