need some good headphones for around $200
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings headfi:

This is my first post/first thread. I'm looking for something decent that will last me for a long time... so I'm willing to spend a little bit extra

I had the Sennheiser EH-150 for a while, the sound is acceptable, but they're just too uncomfortable for normal size ears if you wear them for more than a couple hours.

I want something with good quality and something that is comfortable for normal to mid size ears.

I heard good things about the beyerdynamic DT880. they are about 270 bucks. Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones: Electronics

are these recommended? what do u guys think?

one last question, would i also need to purchase a better sound card if i want better clarity or will a onboard HP Realtek High Definition Audio device be fine?

thanks for ur help

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Get an external DAC/amp for maybe 100 bucks and look out for a used HD 25-1 II or a SRH 840/440. DT880 needs a dedicated headphone amp.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 9
You'll want to head over to the Computer Audio forum for a more in-depth discussion, but the general consensus is that external sound cards (more commonly called DACs) are superior to internal sound cards. That doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy one right now (you'd probably want about $200 for a decent DAC anyhow), but don't plan on upgrading your internal sound card. Your computer out should do fine for now, though you'll eventually find yourself getting pickier and pickier if you hang around here.

Also, what headphone you want depends a lot on what sound you're looking for. What kind of music do you listen to? $200 is a pretty decent headphone budget, but you'll still be a little constrained unless you're willing to budget for an amp as well (many good headphones absolutely require an amp). Other headphones to be looking at in this price range are the Grado SR225/SR225i (great rock headphone, maybe lacking a little in bass, little soundstage, doesn't need an amp), Sennheiser HD580 (great for classical, requires an amp, very "laid back", out of production and would probably have to be bought of the FS forum), and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 (very good soundstage, very comfortable, doesn't need an amp, but rather lacking bass).

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an external DAC/amp for maybe 100 bucks and look out for a used HD 25-1 II or a SRH 840/440. DT880 needs a dedicated headphone amp.

The DT880 comes in several impedances...the higher-impedance ones are better, but wouldn't the low-impedance models not require an amp?

Also, what DAC/Amp are you suggesting for $100? The only one I can think of is the Zero.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 9
Something like the zero yes. Tried one of the low imp 880s, can't see there being much different in just decreasing some ohms, i believe it was the 80 ohm model. I've tried listening to onboard sound, and atleast we have to know what soundcard you are using. Sound through the one im typing on right now distorts different frequencies and just sounds plain really really bad, no matter what i put into it.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 9
will the beyerdynamic still work without an amp?

I really wanna get these headphones, but don't know too much about amps and don't wanna spend more than 350.

can u recommend a good one for around 50 bucks?

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 9
x 2 on the HD 25-1 II / SRH-840 suggestion! (Man... it seems like I've been recommending these two plus the MS-1i all day. Sorry about being a broken record!
tongue.gif
)

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want something with good quality and something that is comfortable for normal to mid size ears.

I heard good things about the beyerdynamic DT880.

You might consider the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) at around 200 US dollars. There is also an 80 ohm version that I would expect would be similar in sound (given it shares the same model numbering), but I can't say either way because I have no experience with it.

From what I've been seeing written, the 880 has a brighter sound than the 770 Pro. Again, can't say either way. Zero experience with the 880, but I love the 770 Pro.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would strongly recommend the Sennheiser HD-25 II , its got amazingly clear output and yes you would need a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back