Need some good advice on some tough phones
Apr 25, 2005 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

xstephanx

Head-Fier
Well it was less than a week till my mdr-v150s got crushed by someone on the bus bumping into me(dont laugh at them phones!). Anyway, ive decided im willing to drop down up to 100$ canadian currency, no more, and hopefully less, on some new phones.

Some things im looking for
-dont look to dorky, im going to wear these things alot
-good low bass reponse, imma use these for dvds at night
-reasonably flat response
-efficient enough to be powered by a portable device
-and they need to be strong, or foldable

So please give me reccomendations, i need some new phones soon. I tend to lean towards closed headphones, as opposed to open ones.

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 35
hmm maybe the sony v6's i havent used them but they are very popular at that price point. 100 canadian is like 60 american right?

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 35
MDRV6/7506. Used or refurb on ebay.

My 40 pound kid has sat on them repeatedly... with enough force to destroy my DT770. But my V6 refused to die.
Garrett

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 35
the sonys look kinda dorky but hey, if they work they work

COME ON PEOPLE I NEED MORE SUGGESTIONS
im considering going with the bottom of the line grados(sr-60 i believe?), which even though theyre open air, have a good amount of praise. The only problem is i like a closed phone, becuase when im listening at night, or while people are doing other things, i dont want other people to hear my music.

What about stanton? they have some relatively cheap folding phones
http://www.topdjgear.com/stanton-djpro-60.html
Maybe some denon ones(heard good things about denon recievers/dvd/cd players)?
http://www.topdjgear.com/denahprofhea.html
also considering the mdrv-500
http://www.topdjgear.com/sony-mdr-v500dj.html

ive also heard good things about some audio technicha phones but know nothing about these two
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=242-501
these dont look as durable, but are still reasonably priced(though a bit past my budget after shipping and duty expenses)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=242-502

come on people i really need suggestions, im just going to websites and looking for stuff that looks good right now
confused.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 35
V6/7506 all the way.
Quote:

-dont look to dorky, im going to wear these things alot

Wearing full sized phones in public *is* dorky, just go for it...
Quote:

-good low bass reponse, imma use these for dvds at night

bass is strong and goes pretty low. Driven by weaker sources they can get a little boomy, still fun though
Quote:

-reasonably flat response

Treble can be a little harsh (if you ask me - unbearably harsh if you ask V6 haters), otherwise they're pretty flat (again, V6 haters will disagree). Sometimes probably too flat should you like a little more euphemistic cans

Quote:

-efficient enough to be powered by a portable device

They're very efficient and easily driven to deafening levels by about anything you can plug them into

Quote:

-and they need to be strong, or foldable

Short of letting the bus run over them, they're pretty indestructible. And they're foldable, too.
My 7506s travel with me a lot, but will get their ear time at home as well.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx
im considering going with the bottom of the line grados(sr-60 i believe?), which even though theyre open air, have a good amount of praise.

If you want something durable, don't even consider Grado's. They have a surprisingly cheap headband which can fall apart easily. I used to use my SR-60's portably, but I got sick of super gluing them back together every week, so I bought the V6's. I'd agree with the consensus in this thread, which is relatively neutral sound with good bass, easy to drive and built like a tank.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx
COME ON PEOPLE I NEED MORE SUGGESTIONS

IMO the Sony V6's look great in public. Very low profile.

Going a little up the price ladder, consider the Sennheiser HD25sp. Simple and strong build. Ebay and Froogle should turn up many pairs, including the British Airway versions heh.

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 35
sounds like the verdict is the mdr v6, i didnt think they folded :O theyre pretty big for a folder. Anyway i found a pair at simply cheap for 55$ us after a quick froogle search (factory reconditioned) or i can get them for 70$ at most other e-shops

Does anyone know where i can find any graphs? its got a tough candidate to compare against for bass
icon10.gif
(ascendant audio atlas 15 in a 6.5 cu ft cad tuned to 20hz, yeah its loud an clean)

also should i bother with facotry reconditioned or buy new? factory reconditioned has 90 day warrenty.

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 35
Senn 280 Pro's

they are:
- a little big, but who cares
smily_headphones1.gif

- good bass response
- closed design, great to isolate the noises on the bus!
- very very comfortable
- not very pricey
- can be powered by a portable (benefit from an amp, but my iPod (3rd gen) powers them pretty well

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 35
Another vote the 7506s.

I have had them since last October, and use them frequently. They are very sturdy. Also, about your concerns for looking "cool,” I wore them around my school all the time before I got the ER4, and I always got positive responses from people on them.

Apr 26, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 35
I won't go with the Senn 280s as suggested above...the headband on it cracks very easily...my friend broke his with in like 2 days of having them....v6 looks to be where its at

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by haastyle
I won't go with the Senn 280s as suggested above...the headband on it cracks very easily...my friend broke his with in like 2 days of having them....v6 looks to be where its at

For your uses, i'd go with the v6's with out a doubt. I know the 280's headband cracks and all but i've never seen anybody say that it effected the actually headband performance. If im not mistaken, it seems to be purely superficial and not structural. Anybody care to comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back