Need some gaming headphones Please help.
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

muell

New Head-Fier
Ive been researching on this website for awhile but this is my first post. I need to finally make a decision and get some headphones. I don't really have a budget but the lower the better. I guess $250 max. I want some headphones for about 75% pc and console gaming (Single player games so a mic isn't really necessary). The other 25% music and movies. Most of my gaming is done in our living room on my HTPC hooked to our tv. Ive never been much of a audio guy but my wife is going back to shool and likes to study in the same room as I game so I need to get some good closed headphones. I dont plan to run a separate amp or sound card it will be hooked up to this mother board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132028  it has Realtek ALC1150 
audio chipset. Also wireless would be a plus but I could just get an extension cable. So far here are the models Ive looking into. In no particular order

Fidelio x1 - Im not sure about the open design of these
Beyerdynamic DT77 Pro 250 ohm
ath-m50
turtle beach earforce z300 - this is actually everything I want but Im not sure about the quality/ sound
MONOPRICE premium over ear headphones. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 6
About the only headphone on that list that are closed and good for gaming and would easily work plugged into the receiver is the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, but 250-Ohms might be hard for your motherboards built in audio to drive.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (40-Ohm) are around $155, plus tax/shipping and could be plugged into the motherboard or directly into the gaming console(?).
The sound quality of the A900Xs is a step above the DT770s (imo).

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 6
A900 is going to be a little "dry" sounding and you may want something artificially colored, as opposed to something that is intended for audiophiles.

I like the DT770 idea though. It's a good one for exactly that purpose actually. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 6
What ohm rating would you recomend on the DT770's? 

For some reason I really like the Idea of the Fidelio x1 how loud is and open design headphone would people next to me be able to hear what im listening to?

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
What ohm rating would you recomend on the DT770's? 

For some reason I really like the Idea of the Fidelio x1 how loud is and open design headphone would people next to me be able to hear what im listening to?

32. no amp, no portable. 250ohm portable amp or higher end source. 600ohm, big amp time.

Honestly the 32ohm is fine if you just wanna plug and play.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 6
you dont mention the 80ohm version. I just read that they supposedly have more base. Would I need a amp for the 80ohm? Also currently on amazon the 250ohm are $50 cheaper than the 32ohm. Would I be better off getting the 250 and a cheap amp < $100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back