Need some experience for next DAC
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shredder

100+ Head-Fier
I was hoping to find some experience to point me in the right direction as I search out my next desktop DAC.

I currently am using a Violectric V850 DAC and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red with a Jitterbug. Both run into a Violectric V281 amp. Will prob use via USB from my Mac. Several headphones interchanged.

These DACs sound very different. The V850 is more "natural" or "flat" with more to the mids along with restraint on the top and bottom. Smooth, and easy to listen to.

The Audioquest is much more vivid with brighter highs and heavier lows. Maybe more of a V shape type sound? Makes you want to rock.

I like them both for different reasons, and there is an obvious difference between their intended purposes. For the next DAC, for the purpose of sound signature, I'd like something that is more in line to what the Audioquest is. More of that type of hard hitting / strong bass with an extended highs type sound.

I was looking at the Borderpatrol and the Benchmark as a start and I have read how different they can sound. I obviously can't listen to them without a buy to try.

Anyone heard the Dragonfly that can point me in a direction with some experience? Anyone heard the Dragonfly / Benchmark and an Audioquest that can kinda offer their takeaway?

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds to me you are looking for a colder dac. If you like the form factor of the AudioQuest, then I highly suggest upgrading to the E1da 9038s.

However, the E1da 9038s requires you to buy a 2.5mm balanced cable for your headphones. (no adapter al)

It is powerful enough to not need an amp for most headphones. Unless you are using some crazy demanding stuff like Abyss planars.

Headfi thread on it for more info.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Hmm. That looks interesting, I’ll dig into that one a bit. Thanks!

I’m looking for a desktop at the moment - I didn’t originally clarify that in my post - edited.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 5
I was looking at the Borderpatrol and the Benchmark as a start and I have read how different they can sound. I obviously can't listen to them without a buy to try.

Anyone heard the Dragonfly that can point me in a direction with some experience? Anyone heard the Dragonfly / Benchmark and an Audioquest that can kinda offer their takeaway?

Chord, not Benchmark. Benchmark and Violectric, Meier, etc are more of my kind of DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back