Need some comfortable IEM
Aug 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Fluffy Muffinz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fiers,

As stated by the title I'm looking for the most comfortable IEMs to date. I owned the UE700's and yet they irritate the inside of my ear canal and gave me small headaches (from memory) and no matter what sized ear buds I used that came with the earphones they'd always find a way to fall out of my ears after a short periods of time. Therefore Iv'e decided to give them to my brother if he puts some money towards me getting a pair of Sony MDR-1R's.

I'm prepared to spend around $100sh give or take a few but I'm going to be using the Sony MDR-1R's as my main headphones so I'm not prepared to spend a whole lot..

After using the UE700's I wana give an around the ear design a shot becasue the UE700's to me stayed in my ears longer when wearing them around the ear. however no matter whether you wear them around the ear or not if they are comfortable it doesn't really fase me the slightest. If I can sleep with them they'd be great.

sound wise, I just want a really good all rounder that I can handle anything I throw at it. Iv'e listened to the Sony MDR-1R's and I feel like I want something similar to that. I didn't really like the sg of the UE700's, the are really good for some genres however when listening to rock/hardcore or even electronic music to my ears they missed the impact in the sound.

EDIT: I haven't listened to the UE700's for a while so please don't take offence to what I said.  

I really like the look of the Shure SE215LTD's but I don't know whether I'd like them.

Iv'e also read somewhere that the Audeo Phonak series are extreamely comfortable however Iv'e heard that they are closing down.

The HiFiMAN RE-400 looking very promising but unsure whether It's what Im looking for.

My sister is getting me a pair of Sony XBA-C10's to use for the gym, maybe they'll satisfy my needs.. 
anyways I hope you can help me out in some shape or form.

cheers. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 44
What are the differences between the SE215 and the SE215LTD in terms of sound and design? are the limited edition pair better?

I'm a little hesitant in getting a pair of Audeo Phonak's just becasue they are no more.. :frowning2:

I'm aware of that with the RE-400's :/

Any other suggestions?? 

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:
What are the differences between the SE215 and the SE215LTD in terms of sound and design? are the limited edition pair better?

I'm a little hesitant in getting a pair of Audeo Phonak's just becasue they are no more.. :frowning2:

I'm aware of that with the RE-400's :/

Any other suggestions?? 

Design wise, only color is different.
Sound wise, SE215LE has more bass.

Westone is another suggestion.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 44

Westone UM1 Colors with EPIC G2 Cable looks pretty nice and it's only $99 or so however im pretty sure they don't have a detachable cable though..

can anyone be able to explain to me how they compare to the Westone 1's and/or SE215LTD?

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 44
Hey Fluffy,

I reckon you should go for the SE215 LTD. While I don't have the original SE215 to compare, nothing I've read about the two suggests there is a huge difference between the two. If you like the colour and look, go for it. I like my pair and it's one of the more comfortable earphones I've tried.

I also have a pair of the UM1 and I would not recommend them next to the SE215 LTD or even the XBA-C10. I haven't gotten around to writing a review but they have pretty limited extension on both ends. They sound fairly blunted.

Also consider the Vsonic GR07. While it doesn't sound like the MDR-1R, it is a fantastic all rounder with a good bass impact. The variable nozzle angle means that it can be quite comfortable too. However if isolation is a top priority I'd recommend the SE215 LTD.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 44
Thank you for your input a_recording :wink: 

would you say that they are comfortable for small ears? have you tried sleeping with 215's?

How would you describe the SE215LTD's sound signature against the Sony MDR-1R that you have reviewed. 

I like the Sony MDR-1R's sound because it's quite forgiving with a lot of genres and it's really easy to listen to for long periods of time and a like the mids.  

I'll have a look at the Vsonic GR07 as well :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 44
I have owned both the se215s and they are damn close. I have not ABed them, but I don't remember hearing anything to different. SE215's will have lots of that impact you want. 

beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 44
are they comfortable to sleep with?

How would you describe the sound? I want a something that's easy to listen to like the MDR-1R's but not heaps in your face and aggressive. 

I don't think I sweat a lot but I'd know if I did. 

a_recording said that the cord is pretty thick and heavy and may get annoying when running etc that's why he recommend the XBA-C10's but I have a feeling that I'm just going to turn around and buy another pair of earphones to meet the sound quality I want. That's why I want a pair I can use both at the gym and when I want to merely appreciate the sound quality....if you understand me. I just want a pair of earphones that meet my 2 needs. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 44
Well, the solution is pretty simple. Get the SE215 LTD and get an aftermarket cable that is lighter and has MMCX connectors. Perhaps someone who has a spare standard cable for a UE900 will want to sell theirs.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 44
Many people are pick about cable thickness. Me not so much. It is a bit stiff in the cold, but besides that, that's about it for me. It's a very warm sound. I would not say to forward or aggressive, but its not as laid back as the mdr-1r IMO. Never tried the XBA-C10s 

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 44
Thank you all for your input I'm pretty much decided on the SE215LTD unless there is something else that's in its league?

How much is after market cables if I decide to purchase one? Hopefully not too expensive..

Are the SE215LTD's comfortable to sleep with?

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:
Thank you all for your input I'm pretty much decided on the SE215LTD unless there is something else that's in its league?

How much is after market cables if I decide to purchase one? Hopefully not too expensive..

Are the SE215LTD's comfortable to sleep with?

It depends. Some cables like Fiio cables cost less than $40 while some can cost $500. My recommendation is not to buy cables over $150, especially for an $99 iem. SE215SE(It's not LTD btw) seems to be a good choice. SE215 is kind of long, so it could possibly stretch your ears a little bit, but you will get used to it. They are fine to sleep with(besides sweating in ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back