need some closed cans for rock/metal
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be heading up to college in a few weeks, and I've been thinking that I finally need to get some closed headphones for listening in my dorm. the source is going to be either my macbook pro or my ipod nano 2g (usually the mbp). for now at least, I won't be using an amp. I listen mainly to metal and rock, along with some classical. no more than $150, and (a lot) less if at all possible. I've looked at the hd280s, but I keep hearing the sennheiser in general isn't so good for rock or metal music. I like how grado sounds, but I need something closed (the more so the better).

thanks

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 18
thanks for the responses guys. I looked at the rp-21s, they actually look really nice; I read the review of them here on headfi. plus they only cost $99 from amazon. the dt660s unfortunately are a bit out of my price range. I was only about to find them for about $170 on pricegrabber.com.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right... I forgot to consider the cost of shipping: $149.00.

woops, didn't see your post until I posted. I've never heard of that site before, is it reputable? how are the dt660s compared to the rp-21s?

thanks

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woops, didn't see your post until I posted. I've never heard of that site before, is it reputable? how are the dt660s compared to the rp-21s?

thanks

From what I can see from their site, they look okay to me. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them though. The only strike against them that I can find is they're not listed at resellerratings.com.

From what I've read the DT660 should isolate better than the RP-21. Having spent a few years in a college dorm room myself, I'd want cans that isolate well.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can see from their site, they look okay to me. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them though. The only strike against them that I can find is they're not listed at resellerratings.com.

From what I've read the DT660 should isolate better than the RP-21. Having spent a few years in a college dorm room myself, I'd want cans that isolate well.

well the fact that they're not even listed on reseller ratings is a pretty big strike against them. I think I'm gonna go with the rp-21s, unless someone has another suggestion for me.

thanks for the help!

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 18
imho, these are the absolute best cans for rock/metal. they can be found here

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imho, these are the absolute best cans for rock/metal. they can be found here

you must be a comedian, that was damn funny
rolleyes.gif

btw: I know how to search.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what about Denon D1000's? Wouldn't it be a good choice for rock / metal?

from what I've read they barely isolate at all. thanks for the suggestion all the same
cool.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what I've read they barely isolate at all. thanks for the suggestion all the same
cool.gif

It wasn't really a suggestion, more a question as one of my friends is looking for a closed set of headphones for rock and metal too, and is interested in this model
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back