Need some cheep, but good headphones - totally lost!
Apr 9, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kmanmx

100+ Head-Fier
I havn't been looking at headphones for over a year now (or listening to them). I last had some Grado SR225, and before that some Sennheiser HD650, and some Shure SE530.

Now i'm listening away on my computer to some Studio Monitors, but they are failing me because the soundcard they require doesn't work well with games - which i play alot of. So, the soundcard is being sold and a better one bought. So the speakers must go too, in the time being i am left listening to some Denon AH-C551's - pretty good, but listening to them for hours a night through onboard audio isn't exactley a thrilling experience to say the least.

So now, i am looking to spend up to £100 on some new full size headphones, to go along with my new Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard (best soundcard, built in headphone amp, gold nichicon caps) Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-E Audiophile Sound Card, Optical/Dolby Pro Logic II - Scan.co.uk

But i stumped with what to choose! I need a pretty good bass response, because of the gaming, and i also enjoy my music with a bit of oomph behind it. But nor do i like boomy, untextured bass. I really liked the texture of the bass on my Grado SR225, but i prefered the amount offered by the HD650's.

My computer, with 2 graphics card, an aftermarket cooler, 3 12cm fans and 1 14cm fan is inherently loud. So closed headphones would probably be best, although that being said, using my HD650's in my rather noisy house wasn't so problematic, so i don't mind closed or open really, especially as i prefer the spacious sound of open headphones.

If anyone could throw me some reccomendations, that'd be much apprecaiated.

Welcome me back into the head-fi world !

edit: i just realised, i must emphasise that i do alot of music listening to - they are not headphones purely for gaming!

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd say take a look at the A700/AD700; the latter version is the open-backed one. Many people here seem to recommend it for gaming, as well as for all-around music listening.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmanmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But i stumped with what to choose! I need a pretty good bass response, because of the gaming, and i also enjoy my music with a bit of oomph behind it. But nor do i like boomy, untextured bass. I really liked the texture of the bass on my Grado SR225, but i prefered the amount offered by the HD650's.

I'd suggest looking at Beyerdynamic's offerings . . . might give you a happy medium overall.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Yeh, well i guess i'm actually happy with a flat bass response thinking about it, my monitor speakers are very flat - and the bass they produce i fine. So if i'm happy with studio monitors, i'm sure i'll be happy with most headphones on the bass side of it.

I'll take a look at the beyer's and AT's. Thanks.

edit:

I think i'd be more interested in the AD700's than the A700's looking at them. Any idea where to get them cheep in the UK ? Also, not to familiar with beyer headphones, what are your opinions on the DT770 Pro's ? My £100 budget is quite strict, by the way. Really can't afford to stretch it to much, if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back