Need Some Cans For Gaming!
Oct 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fr1nge

New Head-Fier
I have a bout $100 bucks to spend and I need to get a nice pair of cans. I can hold out on a sound card at at the moment and just use my onboard sound (which isn't to bad.) I am going to need a mic also, even if it's the Zalman clip on one.

I am using a Peavey i100 microphone atm, but it sound really low when I talk, even with the volume maxed out. Am I in need of an amplifier to power the microphone?

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 6
Koss KSC 75 perform rather well for gaming.  Good soundstage and detail help in FPS type games.  About $15-20.
Panasonic RP-HTF600's offer similar soundstage as the Koss but provide a funner, bassier sound.  They're only $30 and are great budget gaming can and are fun enough to enjoy for music as well.
My personal favorite is Fischer FA-011, you should be able to find them used for about $100, you may have to be patient though.  Great detail and soundstage, 
Audio Technica AD700 is also a solid gaming headphone in your price range, however, they have almost no bass.

If you go the Panasonic/Koss route, you could easily upgrade your soundcard to an Asus Xonar DG.  Great little $30 sound card with a built-in headphone amp and will provide Dolby Headphone if needed.  Should be a significant sound increase to on board.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Koss KSC 75 perform rather well for gaming.  Good soundstage and detail help in FPS type games.  About $15-20.
Panasonic RP-HTF600's offer similar soundstage as the Koss but provide a funner, bassier sound.  They're only $30 and are great budget gaming can and are fun enough to enjoy for music as well.
My personal favorite is Fischer FA-011, you should be able to find them used for about $100, you may have to be patient though.  Great detail and soundstage, 
Audio Technica AD700 is also a solid gaming headphone in your price range, however, they have almost no bass.
If you go the Panasonic/Koss route, you could easily upgrade your soundcard to an Asus Xonar DG.  Great little $30 sound card with a built-in headphone amp and will provide Dolby Headphone if needed.  Should be a significant sound increase to on board.

I would rather use my Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (with Velour pads) over my AD700.
I stopped using the AD700s, the lack of bass really kills some of the enjoyment in sound.
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) can be as cheap as $15 (after $10 mail rebate in the U.S.A.) and has Dolby Headphone 5.1 for watching DVD movies in Dolby Digital 5.1.
Setting games to "Home theater" audio settings seems to work/help the best with the Dolby Digital 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back