Need some buying advice. Trying to avoid an amplifier.
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xplus93

New Head-Fier
I've somewhat picked out a pair that I liked, but i'm worried i'll need an amplifier. I went to the crutchfield store the other day and fell in love with a pair of Sennheiser HD598s. Although when I was at the store I tested them using an amplifier they had at the store that all the headphones were plugged into. I like to use my phone because it has a pretty good built in DAC and plays FLAC with a nice UI instead of feeling like a dollar store mp3 player. I'll probably end up getting a 5.5 gen ipod video for capacity, but I like my phone. What i'm really wondering is will I need an amp and has anybody used these with a phone? The phone i'm using is a samsung galaxy note 2 and sometimes a samsung epic. I've also looked into kernel modifications for the phone that allow more control over the DAC and amplification, but i'm worried about burning it out. Any help and experience with that would also be appreciated.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I've somewhat picked out a pair that I liked, but i'm worried i'll need an amplifier. I went to the crutchfield store the other day and fell in love with a pair of Sennheiser HD598s. Although when I was at the store I tested them using an amplifier they had at the store that all the headphones were plugged into. I like to use my phone because it has a pretty good built in DAC and plays FLAC with a nice UI instead of feeling like a dollar store mp3 player. I'll probably end up getting a 5.5 gen ipod video for capacity, but I like my phone. What i'm really wondering is will I need an amp and has anybody used these with a phone? The phone i'm using is a samsung galaxy note 2 and sometimes a samsung epic. I've also looked into kernel modifications for the phone that allow more control over the DAC and amplification, but i'm worried about burning it out. Any help and experience with that would also be appreciated.

Heya,

The HD598 doesn't need an amplifier.

You'll be fine.

Very best,

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 14
actually the answer to your question depends on your source, or what you want in a headphone.  For example if your source is an ipod, and you only want volume, you do not need an amp.  however if you want clarity and the best performance you can get out of these headphones you do need an amp and a line out..  everyone has an opinion, but, I don't place much value on yes or no answers either way.    

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 14
I agree with Mal on this one. If you don't want to buy an amp right now you will be fine with the 598. They sound good straight out of an iPod 5.5, computer (unless your soundcard is complete junk) and will probably sound pretty good out of the Note II since it has the same Wolfson DAC as the S3.  If you decide to buy an amp down the road when you have the money it will probably improve the sound a little bit, but I wouldn't not buy these headphones because you can't afford an amp right now.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 14
thanks Dilont3. Thats exactly why I bought this phone. I seriously would have trading everything off for great sound quality, but luckily I didn't have to. I just picked these up from the crutchfield store today, and have been breaking them in since I opened them. After about the third album they just came alive. My only disappointment is the built quality of the 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter. Luckily I plan on buying an oyaide cable  with an 1/8 jack eventually. Any advice on cables though? Is there a better one to get? So far that is the only one i've seen that seems to be made to fit the jack in the headphones. Also to alleviate your concerns, I didn't buy them to avoid an amp, I just fell in love with the sound and looks of these the moment I saw them and tried them out. I was just concerned I was buying something that was different than what I expected. I do plan on getting an amp eventually, but I didn't want these to collect dust while I collect money for one.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 14
There really are no great options for replacement cables. Sennheiser kinda screwed the general consumer by terminating the cable to 1/4 inch and then making the jack on the ear cup only work with their specific cable. As far as I know the only way to make a replacementcable work with 598's is to have the earcup modded to fit other cables or have a custom cable made. Either option could get expensive.
I use a grado adapter that is almost exactly like this one -http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm-3-5mm/dp/B008JGWY2YThis works well and takes off the strain off your jacks that you get with the huge Sennheiser adapter that they come with.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks, thats a great idea, i forgot all about using an adapter like that. Yeah, there is a lot of strain on the jack, both on the phone and the jack itself. Also thanks for linking to the original sennheiser one. Also, is there any issue with folding the cable like its originally packaged to take off the slack from the cable? Also I wouldn't say they screwed the consumer, honestly these were meant to be listened to sitting down at home, so they made the best product for that. For us that choose to listen to them on the go we just have to do things a bit differently.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
You could always go with the HD-558 and a FiiO amp.  To me the 558 sounds identical to the 598.

I had the same impression.

The 558's with a quick mod sound exactly the same as the 598's.

Although the overall build quality of the 598's is slightly better. (But probably not worth the price difference)

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 14
I already bought the 598s but i just checked out the 558s. Honestly just the styling is worth the difference to me. I like the natural look of these, especially with the wood accents. Plus if you had bout thes a little over a week ago at crutchfield they were giving away 100 dollars store credit when you bought a pair, sadly I got paid right after the sale. I could have bought a case and a good adapter.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Well, i just fount the amp i'll probably get. A note 2 version will be out soon.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655315/v-moda-vamp-verza-metallo-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-crowdsourcing-ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back