Need some amp advice.
Jun 5, 2005 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AML

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Within the next few days i'll hopefully have my HD580's. I've been reading all the threads on amps for the Senns but it has only confused me more.

This will be my first headphone amp purchase and i'm really in the dark as too what one to get. I do have a dennon amp, but these phones will mostly be used on the computer with a Chaintech AV710. I listen to anything from Rock,Pop,Acoustic, Jazz, Country Rock,Hard Rock and Easy Listening.

My funds AU$ aren't that flush at the moment, so prices for the likes of a Rega or SR71 are out for me.
I have been offered a Mint for AU $80, would that be sufficient enough for HD580??

Desperately need some advice and suggestions please!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 12
The three most likely options to choose from, with the fundage variable in play, would be the various Cmoys and derivatives (e.g. Mint), the Pocket Amp 2 from Electric Avenues, and the Go-Vibe from Headsave (also a Cmoy derivative). Regardless, this is not much of a limitation as these are all excellent products and will firmly bring you in to the world of amplified headphone usage with a quality experience.

From a bang-for-the-buck perspective, I like the Pocket Amp2. I'm not up on the latest exchange rates, but I suspect it will come in somewhere between the Mint and Go-Vibe. While each have their own sonic characteristics, discussed in greater detail in other related threads (just do a search) I like the overall value of the Pocket Amp. It has a built-in recharger, can run from batteries or A/C, and includes a wall wart and even a standard mini-mini cable. The only thing you need to add are two economical NiMh rechargeable AAs. Then you close up the amp and you should be good to go for a couple years.

I do encourage you to research the threads here. There's a lot, perhaps more than enough, information and opinion on which to base a satisfying decision. One thing for certain is that you will raise the level of your musical enjoyment with any of these or any other recommendations coming from this community.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

I have been offered a Mint for AU $80, would that be sufficient enough for HD580??

Do you mean a MINT (meta42 is now tiny) or a cmoy in a mint tin can ? I suggest getting a MINT, not a "mint". rockhopperaudio.com sells a MINT with 8620 opamp for US$90. You would want an opamp that's neutral or bright sounding. I don't recommend dark sounding opamps like the 2227 (which is common for cmoys) with the HD580.

The pocket amp2 (from electric-avenues.com) sounds great with the 580 (I'm listening to it right now), but it is not a neutral amp. The bass is heavier, and the highs are warmer. Listening to Diana Krall's "Let's face the music and dance," I hear more air with my MINT (with 2107) than the PA2. Piano keys are crisper. I would choose the mint if I were listening to jazz or rock, but the PA2 for pop or anything that needs a good bass slam and don't mind a veiled top. If you're the type of person that likes to boost the high frequencies on the EQ, I would get the mint instead of the pa2.

edit: the more I listen, the more I prefer the mint for the 580s.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Depending on how good the headphone out of your denon is, the less expensive DIY amps may not provide any advantage. Can you run a cable to the denon from your AV710, and the HD580's from the headphone output of the denon?

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the replies so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

aseltzer144 , thanks for the info on the Pocket Amp and the Go-Vibe.
Is there much difference in the sound between the two? I prefer a warmer sound (i have a Dennon amp and Tannoy speakers), i don't like treble that's overly harsh. Also, with the wall wart, is it universal for usuage for 240v?

atx , that's a very good question about the Mint being a cmoy or Meta42. I don't know
redface.gif
I've just sent off a PM to the maker asking.
You say the pocket amp2's bass is heavier, does it overpower everything?
Newbie question here
smily_headphones1.gif
What does more air mean? Could you elaborate more on this please.
smily_headphones1.gif

S_Dedalus , the Dennon is on the other side of the room (about 20ft away from the computer). So using it with the computer isn't an option at this stage - unless i rearrange the loungeroom.
eek.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

You say the pocket amp2's bass is heavier, does it overpower everything?
Newbie question here What does more air mean? Could you elaborate more on this please.

I consider the bass increase on the pa2v2 to be very good-- it's not sloppy. You'll get deeper bass, and more of it without overpowering the mids IMO. It doesn't improve the resolution like more expensive amps (i.e. sr71!) obviously, but far better than using the eq on my PC.

More air means you can hear more of the environment-- i.e. the soundstage-- the illusion of more resonance to the sound. Not that I'm trying to imply that these amps add any soundstage-- they don't, you need to spend more cash for more soundstage.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 12
The mint is like posted earlier: meta is now tiny. The cmoy amps are often housed in the novelty candy tins (why some call it a mint) but are different from the regular "MINT" that tangent coined.

-ivan c.

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Ok, thanks atx
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just received a reply from the Mint maker, and it's definitely a Meta42 with an AD8610 op amp.

Next question.
smily_headphones1.gif
What's the difference between the AD8610 and AD8620, especially with the HD580?

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Next question. What's the difference between the AD8610 and AD8620, especially with the HD580?

They're the same. The 8610 is a single channel opamp, while 8620 is dual. So 2 x 8610 = 8620.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
They're the same. The 8610 is a single channel opamp, while 8620 is dual. So 2 x 8610 = 8620.

There's so much to learn.
eek.gif

atx , you mentioned before about getting a neutral or bright sounding opamp for the HD580. Would the 8610 fall into this catergory?

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

atx , you mentioned before about getting a neutral or bright sounding opamp for the HD580. Would the 8610 fall into this catergory?

Yes I'd say they're bright sounding opamp which IMO is a good match for the 580s.

Jun 7, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Yes I'd say they're bright sounding opamp which IMO is a good match for the 580s.

That's good to know. Thanks for all your help so far atx.
biggrin.gif

At this stage i'm leaning towards getting the Meta42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back