Need some advice regarding a new player
Oct 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shadowwinds

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm planning to get a new music player soon and would like hear your opinions.
My choice is mostly going to be based on sound quality, that and its size since i want it to be convenient/compact.
I'm currently using a zen vision w, so yeah, it's really bulky.
I've been thinking about the 4g nano, since it looks really sleek and all.
I tried reading up a bit but still am not too sure as too how it compares to other players in terms of sound.
Any recommendations for a portable music player that has good sound quality, quite compact and preferably at least 16gb?
I realize I'm asking quite a bit considering this is my first post.. but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say and all.
Thanks in advance!

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 18
iAudio 7 16GB
cowon D2 16GB
sony A729/A829/S639/S739 16GB
4G nano 16GB
zune 16GB

those are what i consider as small and compact but armed with among the best SQ available in market

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 18
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
I forgot to mention that I'll probably use it while skating..
Know a couple of guys using the Sony Walkman/Nano without problems, just wondering about the D2 since it's touch screen and all. Or would a simple pouch do the job?

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 18
i hear that the sansa's, sansa clip in particular sound really good. but im sure other sansa sound good as well. i think the quality of music u put into the player really counts tho. if u give a player that has good quality, but if u put in lets say 128kb bitrate songs, its still going to sound bad. i dont think theres a necessarily bad sounding mp3 player.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 18
Only 2 Sansa players that have great SQ are the clip & the Fuze. The other players they put out are good, just not top shelf products.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 18
I don't have many songs in 128kbps.. but yes i get your point regarding sound quality.
My concern regarding the D2 is about it's screen, read somewhere in abi that the screen cracks easily under pressure so I'm not too sure if it should be used while skating.
Well, actually that's my concern for the player I'm going to get, since chances of me falling during slalom/slide practice should be pretty high.
Oh, and read a bit regarding a D3 coming out.. Should i just wait for that?

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 18
u can consider D3 as myth.

for your activities, better get something more cheap and robust like ipod shuffle. moreover, with rigorious movement, u dont really will have a good seal with IEM, so SQ not really important imho.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Was thinking of something like that. Just using some other cheap player I mean.
I guess I wouldn't be so much onto SQ while skating.

On to players, looks like I'm left with D2/nano.. Which basically means I'm probably getting the D2.
Sony's a bit pricey sadly.
Then again, the earphones they provide are pretty decent right? So if I do get them I wouldn't be spending another 120$ on cx300..
I realize there's another forum for this, but would cx300 be a good pair up with the D2(or any other recommended player) for a pair of IEMs in that price range?

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 18
I feel D2 is as big as creative zen v...I have a zen too.. it is sooooo big...my friend asked me the other days, whether my creative has 1tb space because it looks sooo big..
smily_headphones1.gif
and it sometimes just freeze without any reasons..I will stay away from creative products this time..I think I will get a nano or clip and get a good pair of headphone..

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 18
The D2 screen is not overly-fragile. People who've cracked it usually have abused the player, and like any, damage occurred. And the D2 is not very large, it can fit inside an Altoids tin w/room to spare. And, the SQ is great.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 18
I've checked the dimensions of the D2. It's hardly big, just a little fat(thick) I guess?

Would you guys recommend me get the Sony's or D2?
With the D2 I'll most likely be getting new earphones, namely the cx300, whereas for Sony I'll stick with its stock earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back