Need some advice please.
Aug 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oll180

New Head-Fier
Hi im very new to the whole headphone scene. I have recently been gifted a go vibe petite amp and am looking for some cans to go with it. I will be listening to mainly flac on my laptop and apple lossless through my ipod. The music will mainly be metal and punk with some less obnoxious stuff thrown in as well. Ive had my eyes on some Grados but would appreciate any advice on some cans (open or closed)that would suit this amp and this style of music.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 8
There are no "Punk & Metal" headphones.

You will see many people that listen to those genres favoring many different headphones.

Personally, I like my HD580s for punk, metal, and everything else I listen to because they are nice and flat sounding and stupidly comfortable. Other people want an "enhanced" sound. So, I must ask.. do you wish for the music to be flat and sound the way it was mastered, or do you wish for Xtra Bass? Super shiny cymbals? Something else?

Grado's are neat.. In general they have a hefty mid-bass hump that makes kick drums really pop, as well as having a treble peak (or two) that makes the cymbals sound really lively and clear (many people do not like this added treble on many recordings). So, if you want a "lively" headphone a grado could work for you.. I suggest SR80i or MS1, anything higher by grado is a waste of money, IMO. Many higher up models of the grados sound different and maybe a touch more refined in some ways.. but they are still a grado. Some of them have entirely different drivers.. Those are interesting, but for now.. Stick to SR80/MS1 :)

P.S. Grado's can be mighty uncomfortable too. I don't mean to turn you off them.. all headphones have their ups and downs. Just trying to let cha know.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Other brands to consider : V-moda (closed), Koss (Open KSC75 and Portapro are budget kings and I still use a portapro on the go).

I'm kinda tired, I might think of some more to suggest and you might give some more info on what you want tomorrow. I will check in later.

Goodnight :)

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the quick replies. Well the budget is around $350 and i would prefer something that sounds a little more flat. I do like the bass drums to kick a little but prefer to hear the music as the artist/producer intended.

Would like to try the SR80/ MS1. And at their price could still afford to shell out around $350 for another pair. Have been reccomended  a few different AKG models as well as beyerdynamic. Thanks for the tips. As a noob in these circles i was blown away by the sheer amount of choices available to me. Unfortunately i dont have the luxury of listening to any before i buy so im just relying on reviews and advice from you good folk of the internet before i buy online. 

Portablility is not an issue for me as they will mostly be used at home.

Thanks again for any advice it is much appreciated :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Well the budget is around $350 and i would prefer something that sounds a little more flat. I do like the bass drums to kick a little but prefer to hear the music as the artist/producer intended.

Would like to try the SR80/ MS1. And at their price could still afford to shell out around $350 for another pair. Have been reccomended  a few different AKG models as well as beyerdynamic. Thanks for the tips. As a noob in these circles i was blown away by the sheer amount of choices available to me. Unfortunately i dont have the luxury of listening to any before i buy so im just relying on reviews and advice from you good folk of the internet before i buy online. 

Portablility is not an issue for me as they will mostly be used at home.

Thanks again for any advice it is much appreciated :)

I highly, highly, highly, recommend you look at the Sennheiser HD600 and HD580. I think you will much prefer them over a SR80 or MS1 given what you just said.

The HD650 has just a touch more oomph on the low-end, you could look at that model too.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the tips. I actually had the opportunity to try some Mr Speakers mad dogs that a mate of mine had. I ordered my own straight away plus an ibasso pb2 portable amp. I loved them and it only took 3 days to get them from San Diego to Australia!

That said I think this could be the beginning of a long quest for the perfect phones!
So I probably will end up trying some of the sennheisers sooner or later.The mad dogs sound great through an old rotel amp I have at home and the pb2 drives them well also.

Think the portapros are going to be my next purchase from everything I've read they are a great little set for on the go! My wallet hates me already and now ive got to explain my new addiction to my wife :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post and I look forward to trying the senns.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I actually had the opportunity to try some Mr Speakers mad dogs that a mate of mine had. I ordered my own straight away plus an ibasso pb2 portable amp. I loved them and it only took 3 days to get them from San Diego to Australia!

That said I think this could be the beginning of a long quest for the perfect phones!
So I probably will end up trying some of the sennheisers sooner or later.The mad dogs sound great through an old rotel amp I have at home and the pb2 drives them well also.

Think the portapros are going to be my next purchase from everything I've read they are a great little set for on the go! My wallet hates me already and now ive got to explain my new addiction to my wife
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post and I look forward to trying the senns.

I went from my own (very successful) T50rp mods to the HD580.. It was by mere chance that I got to listen to the HD580s, someone on craigslist had them listed.

I was floored to put on the comfortable and open Sennheisers and hear something very, very similar to how I painstakingly tuned my T50rps.

So, it is within reason to assume that you will also like the Sennheisers. However, every t50rp mod is a little different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back