Need some advice on some new phones
Feb 24, 2005 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Donut

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into a new set of headphones and I was unsure as to what I should get. I'd mainly use them with my iRiver flash mp3 player, though it would also get used with my computer occasionally. I will not be using an amp, so keep that in mind. In addition, since they'd be used more often with my mp3 player, portability is a bonus. I pretty much listen to everything (from Linkin Park and Metallica to The Phantom of the Opera...a little bit of everything, though I probably listen to more of the metal/rock genre). Headphones would preferably keep music in and noise out. Price range (and judging from what I've read, this is probably not what you want to hear, but what can I say, I'm merely a college student?) is around $50-60, with 70-80 stretching the upper limits. I was considering the Grado SR60s for awhile, but then started liking some of the Sennheiser models. Specifically I had in mind the HD 280 Pros, 497, and 515. While I do like bass, accurate sound reproduction is more important. I should note that my mp3 player has adjustable EQ settings. Recently I've narrowed it down to either the 497s or the 515s, though I'll take any suggestions. While I probably don't have the experienced ears of a serious audiophile, I can hear basic subtleties and differences in sound (ie, I tried the Sony MDRV700DJ or V600 or something like that in a store once, and I absolutely hated them). Keep in mind that right now I use your basic Sony streetstyle headphones. Comfort is definitely a plus. Advice and suggestions are needed and welcome. Thanks in advance, and boy am I glad I found these forums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back