Need some advice on new receiver/stereo amp
Oct 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

qwnzr

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm looking to upgrade my audio setup, Currently for regular listening I have my pc(auzentech x-plosion sound card) outputing via a 3.5mm jack to an old school sony receiver (STR-V35) which I have driving a pair of Tannoy speakers, and I use the 1/4" Headphone out for my Grado Sr-325i cans. I also have a Stanton T52 Turntable hooked up to the receiver.
For around 300-500$ I am looking to get the best sound out of my headphones and speakers (headphones are more important) and I'm unsure what exactly I should be looking for. Originally for simplicity sake I wanted to try and find a decent receiver (either av or stereo) that could do all in one (also I could hook it up by toslink) but from what I've read here hp output on receivers is guess work to try and find a good one.
Can some suggest a better setup for/combo that will sound good with the Grado? I'm really interested in Tube amps, and if the equipment is good enough quality I'd be willing to look at used equipment as well in that price range.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Since you have a stereo system you want a stereo integrated amplifier, or if you want a tuner as well then a stereo receiver. Not a av amplifier or av receiver.

Those don't have digital inputs, you'll need a DAC if you want to feed digital out from the soundcard.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't necessarily need digital, would toslink be a signficant upgrade over rca inputs? my listening material varies from VBR mp3s to 44khz flac (with like one album in 48khz) and would any of these Stereo Integrated amplifiers have a pre amp built in for the turntable or would that need to be separate?

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Toslink is digital, so you'd need a DAC + stereo integrated amplifier or a AV amplifier. I'd choose the former. If you're going down DAC then higher end still I'd consider deleting all lossy tracks and stick to lossless. Not all stereo integrated amplifiers have MM/MC phono stage, but you can buy an external phono stage. I've got a stereo analogue pre-amp and that doesn't have one (but it does have a headphone amp)

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 8
The only product I know of with all the one box features you are looking for (headphone amp, DAC, preamp, power amp) is the Peachtree Decco (50 watts/channel) or Peachtree Nova (80 watts/channel). They are both above your budget, but you might be able to find a Decco used on Audiogon for $500 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back