Need some advice on my new Shure E3cs....
Jan 27, 2004 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RIDE

100+ Head-Fier
...do I keep them and just pick up some Grado SR60s to compliment them??? Or do I take advantage of the 30 day return policy and upgrade them to the E5s. The extra cost is a tough pill to swallow, but I am just not satisfied with the sound of the E3s.

I did my homework...Etymotics or Shures? Based on all I could determine, the E3s seemed like the best choice, dollar for dollar. The Ety's probably had the purest sound, but the Shure E3s packed a bit more punch when it came to bass.

My E3s are comfy and I get a good seal so that is not an issue. Don't get me wrong, they sound very good....close to what I was hoping for, but something is not there. They also look great and compliment my new iPod perfectly. But astetics only take you so far.

So experts, what about it? Take the plunge to the E5s, or keep what I have and add the Grados? Are those E5 THAT good? This is such a big choice, so I am trying to get as much advice as possible.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your responses!

RIDE

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 6
IMO, the E5 is THAT good... but... it's still another canalphone.. if you can put up with the canalphone being the only pair of headphone you've got... then go for it.

If you have urges to own different forms of headphones, one that can be more comfortable at home and such, pick up another SR-60/80 for those times you feel like a more exciting bass.

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks lindrone, I have read practically everything you've said on this topic and was hoping you'd chime in.

I am seriously leaning towards the E5 upgrade. I will be using the canal phones as my primary listening tool, so I feel like I should get the best ones I can.

Thanks again,

RIDE

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 6
If you are happy with the general Shure sonic signature I say go for it.

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Agreed. If you like the Shure sound, don't mind something in your ear, then that second driver on the E5 just pulls all the sound together. I think you'll find it's all that you wanted it to be!

Jan 27, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by RIDE
Thanks lindrone, I have read practically everything you've said on this topic and was hoping you'd chime in.

I am seriously leaning towards the E5 upgrade. I will be using the canal phones as my primary listening tool, so I feel like I should get the best ones I can.

Thanks again,

RIDE

Although I plan to purchase a better full sized can, amp, and source for home listening in the future, I was in the same situation as you. My E5's come tommorow just in case you were unsure of what my decision was!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back