Need some advice on headphones...
Feb 16, 2003 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Newbiez

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting my first SR-60 next week, so I'm quite please. But there's a few things I need to understand in order to make the best out of it. So hoepfuly I'll get some advice from you experience lot out here
smily_headphones1.gif

1) I understand that a new headphones need to be 'burned'. What shouldI use to burn it ? How long and what type of music should be used ? Should I change the music after a period of timr or use the same one for that entire burning time ?

2) Anything I can do to improve on SR-60s ? I haven't done much reseacrh other than the normal ones, so maybe there's some tip and tricks hidden somewhere out there.

3) Anything else I should know in safekeeping it ? Like cleaning it or storing it in a special place ? I'm not the careful kind, so I'm bound to screw up somewhere
frown.gif

4) Do you guys know anywhere in Malaysia where they carry a good catalogue of headphones ? I can only find speakers speciality shops, and the best headphones I've seen on display was an wireless AKG cans...Any info would be much appreciated.

And last but not least, Thank you all for those advice and research you've done to make my selection a bit better. My waller hates you lot, but my mind loves it
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Play a variety of music through the headphones. Leave them running overnight at a volume level just slightly higher than what you normally listen to them at. Do this for about 100 hours or so.

Of course, you can just listen to them and experience the burn-in firsthand too.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 18, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 13
100 hours eh? That's how long it took for my brother to start breaking in his Norh system. How can something so small need so long? In comparison of course. Oh well, I know the time required changes with the quality of the headphones.

I suggest these mp3's for burning in. They are pumped full of bass and should loosen up those drivers.

1. Bass Check - MTX woofer Test
2. Bass Test - FREQUENCY RESPONSE
3. THX - Dolby DTS - Ultimate Bass Test

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 13
They're from Kazaa aren't they Snurflax??

Alternatively, if you have a tuner that you can tune off station, and just play the static through the headphones... that has been well reported to speed up the burn-in phenomenen...

but, then there are the other people who just recommend listening to the 'phones... as is

The choice... is yours
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I don't think Malaysia have a big choice of headphones ,I used to live there for a while. But you certainly have a bigger choice in Singapore. I suggest you get in contact with the head-fiers from sing, I have seen quiet a number of them.

Feb 18, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Geek is... A geek
biggrin.gif
100 hours is not required except in rare circumstances. I find Japanese headphones much less burn in dependent than others. Next up is I suppose the Gratos... Seems to need relatively little burn in to sound like, er, Gratos. The rest is acclimatisation.
The HD280 was one of the exceptional cases, it did need a lot of driver-exercising sounds to get it to normal operation. The HD25 was also quite reticent at first. Thinking about it, the HD600 needed a bit more than normal too... Perhaps Sennheiser just whack the bits in place and don't bother to test the drivers?
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 13
You should burn you headphones until the new headphone smell is gone.
biggrin.gif

Just listen to them. Headphones do not need to be burned in before listening unless you really want the true characteristics of the headphones to be apparent to you when you first seriously listen to them.

In my opinion, its better to burn headphones in with more natural sounds as in oppose to using one specific or narrow bands of frequencies. Someone posted that he used extreme frequencies above and below human hearing to burn his headphones with. He ended up damaging them.

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 13
im in the process of burning in my px200's right now. im using a whole variety of songs ranging from slipknot to disturbed to foo fighters to mozart to ludacris to frequency sweeps/bass tests. best thing to do IMO is to expose them to many different things.

Mar 2, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Newbiez....if you need to know all about Grado headphones in Malaysia, PM me.....i know where to get them, support and the ear foam....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back