Need some advice in making a DIY 3.5mm interconnect cable for my tube amp.
Sep 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Amako360

New Head-Fier
Hello, I plan to make a silver cable for my tube amp. I have about 80cm of 29AWG pure silver cable and two gold-plated Switchcraft plugs. Will it make a difference if I use 6 wires instead of 3 wires? 2 for the ground and 2 for each signal. Your advice is much appreciated. =)

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 9
A couple things. First of all there is a DIY cable thread. But to answer your question I need more info.  What is this cable for?  Is it an interconnect or a speaker cable or a headphone cable?  There are about a dozen things that connect to an amp.  In any case 29awg is an odd awg but should work for interconnects and headphone cables.  For speaker it is too thin.  Also if you use more wire it will be more durable but will be harder to work with. Will it make a difference in sound?  I highly doubt it.  Usually for interconnects and headphone cables you want to work with around 26-24 awg though.  28 is more for IEMs.  

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 9
My apologies I did not know there was a DIY thread. I just joined the forum today. The cable is for an interconnect to connect my iPod to my portable tube amp. At the moment I only have 29AWG silver cable. So is it too thin for an interconnect? Should I even bother making an interconnect with the current cable I have or should I buy a thicker cable?

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 9
The wire is fine for an ipod to amp cable, it's only if you're sending a powerful signal to big speakers you need thick wires.

As this is for portable use durability might be an issue though - thin wires break quicker than thick ones.  Is the cable stranded or single core? 

Single core breaks easily when bent repeatedly, so if I wouldn't risk it unless it's a single use cable (ie it will always be used between the same ipod and amp) in which case you could mould a protective covering from something like sugru so the wires are protected.  This could add protection against the jacks being pushed sideways and damaging the sockets too.

If it's stranded I'd give it a go. As stated above 6 wire will be more durable so if the cable will be bent it's a good idea, but it will be a bit harder to make (braiding pairs is hard to make it look good, twisting the ends together isn't so hard).

Good luck!

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your advice Zashoomin and suicidal_orange. Its stranded wire 29AWG. Since its thin and vulnerable, I might use transparent heat shrink to protect the wire. I'll post a picture of the cable after I'm done to show you guys how it will look like and tell me what you guys think. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 9
  Where did you get the 29AWG stranded silver wires from? Also what kind of portable tube amp you have?

Look forward to the info. Thanks

Hey DMinor, I got the silver wires from ebay. Here is the link for the product 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-/110536892795?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19bc83217b

I am currently using the GoVibe Porta Tube. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 9

Hey DMinor, I got the silver wires from ebay. Here is the link for the product 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Silver-9999-Stranded-Wire-29AWG-Teflon-Audio-Cable-/110536892795?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19bc83217b

I am currently using the GoVibe Porta Tube. 

Thanks for the info. That amp looks good. It must sound good too.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 9

Thanks for the info. That amp looks good. It must sound good too.

You are welcome and yes, it both looks and sounds good. It sounds so good that I was taken away when the music started playing. I highly recommend it if you are listening to classical, vocals and jazz. However, it is a really expensive amp so you need to save a lot of money for a while like I did in order to afford it. You should give it a try in one of the Jaben stores if there is any nearby your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back