Need some advice from the Vinyl heads here
Feb 7, 2021 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ad720

100+ Head-Fier
Before I got into headphones I was quite happy but as I have upgraded my headphone system I've become more and more disappointed with the analog side of my system. I'm just not enjoying the way my records are sounding - really lacking impact and dynamics. To the point I'm not listening to my records much lately.

Vinyl system includes:

Rotel RC-870 preamp acting as phono stage

Pioneer PL-7 with Pickering XV-15/EEE stylus

I'm wondering where you all think the weak point is here?

I have a couple other carts around (AT95, Stanton 500) and I've swapped them in but really not noticing much of a difference. I'm also not adverse to trying to trying something different in the cartridge area including something MC.

I'm thinking it may be time to bite the bullet and upgrade the table but I'm just wondering how much I have to spend to really hear an upgrade. $300? $500? $1000?

Also considering trying a different preamp.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Before I got into headphones I was quite happy but as I have upgraded my headphone system I've become more and more disappointed with the analog side of my system. I'm just not enjoying the way my records are sounding - really lacking impact and dynamics. To the point I'm not listening to my records much lately.

Vinyl system includes:

Rotel RC-870 preamp acting as phono stage

Pioneer PL-7 with Pickering XV-15/EEE stylus

I'm wondering where you all think the weak point is here?

I have a couple other carts around (AT95, Stanton 500) and I've swapped them in but really not noticing much of a difference. I'm also not adverse to trying to trying something different in the cartridge area including something MC.

I'm thinking it may be time to bite the bullet and upgrade the table but I'm just wondering how much I have to spend to really hear an upgrade. $300? $500? $1000?

Also considering trying a different preamp.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Was it ever sounding comparatively good versus your digital system in the first place? Keep in mind that vinyl has a much lower dynamic range than digital, it might be vinyl as a format itself that's not floating your boat.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes, back on my two channel system I was quite happy. However that is currently in storage. When I occasionally use my little bookshelf speakers I'm also not as bothered as when I listen on my headphones.

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 9
I found with all my upgrades in vinyl the biggest was the phono stage. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 9
I found with all my upgrades in vinyl the biggest was the phono stage. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for this. I was thinking along the same lines so to test the theory I picked up an ART DJ Pre. I know it's not one of the best out there but it measures well and was inexpensive enough for this experiment. I do think it sounds a bit better with the ART pre, mostly because I can get a few more DB of gain with it over the Rotel.

Not sure which direction I'm going to go in right now so I'll probably just sit tight.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 9
May I ask you how you are connecting your headphones and what model of cans you’re using?
Thanks. I’m considering Hifiman Ananda’s and don’t have a headphone amp. Also considering a DAC/Headphone amp, but that doesn’t help with my LP’s.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 9
May I ask you how you are connecting your headphones and what model of cans you’re using?
Thanks. I’m considering Hifiman Ananda’s and don’t have a headphone amp. Also considering a DAC/Headphone amp, but that doesn’t help with my LP’s.
There are a few dac/amps with a built in phono stage such as the mytech Brooklyn. My Rogue RH-5 can add a optional phono stage (but not a dac)

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 9

My gear list is my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back