Need some advice for my upgrade
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

redryder

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting myself a birthday treat and want to upgrade my portable setup. I'm currently using a smartphone and iems in the sub $200 range. I have a variety of hires and flac files which I play through android software decoding.

I'm going to Japan next month and really looking forward to paying a visit to E-earphones. A quick look at their site reveals that I can get IE800 or Shure 846 at my budget. I like warm bass for listening to pop and rock, and lush mids for acoustic vocals.

However, would I be better served looking at cheaper iems and getting a DAP as well? Japanese DAPs like pioneer and Onkyo are half the price compared to my country. Some of my current iems I have to pump up the volume almost to 90% on my phone during my commute.

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 4
I suppose you could split the budget between a DAP and something like an Oriveti New Primacy or a Campfire Orion, say. But really, I believe your biggest sound quality improvement is going to come from maximizing the improvement in your IEM. So, I would personally do that. I would put all or nearly all my funds into the IEM. You can always upgrade to a DAP of your choosing down the road a bit. You might add a Campfire Lyra II to your list and see what you think. Maybe read about it. It could work, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back