Need some advice for durable at work headphones. Help is appreciated.
Apr 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

undeliverable

New Head-Fier
Skip to the end for the TL:DR version.

I know that this has been asked before on here, but I am looking for a pair of ~50.00 - 60.00 (Amazon priced) headphones that meet certain standards. Many of these standards are not around sound quality since I cannot seem to find a pair of headphones that will stay intact. I AM a klutz, FYI.

Durable cords at the headphone end. Really. These headphones will more than likely never leave my desk but they do get removed and put back on about 30 times a day. Some headphones I have been able to repair after the cord goes bad, others have been strangely resistant to soldering irons.

I listen to most kinds of music but I skew heavily towards Gothengurg metal, techno, 60's, classical and... audio books. Lots of em. I have found in the past that headphones that sound fantastic when playing music sound horrid when listening to audio books. I'm sure its a faithful reproduction of the less-than-high-def recordings of someone reading a no-doubt-thrilling book, but anything headphones that are at all weak in the mid range end up sounding extra trashy.

I have a desk job in a quiet environment and I wear these headphones for long periods. This is good and bad when listening to music since I don't have to drown anyone out, but leakage is a concern. I typically don't listen to anything loud but in a quiet environment even small sounds carry and I don't want any complaints. Occasionally I need to blow off steam and I turn it up so loud it rattles my teeth, damn the torpedoes.

Good response at low volumes would be great. This is hooked up to a work PC and they are not known for their awesome audio power. I have various DSP plug-ins I can use if needed but I wouldn't mind something with warm bass at lower volumes. I understand that this isn't a 'flat' studio representation of the actual music. Not something as lopsided as the Bose headphones I have tried, which were a little like living inside a kettle drum.

These headphones will replace my Sennheiser HD 457's. These are open but surprisingly don’t leak too badly. I'm not sure where they land in the audiophile world, but I DO know the little cords in each ear are too delicate and they lasted JUST over the 2 year warranty and are 'repair resistant'. For myself I would rate them as passable at low volumes, muddy at moderate and higher volumes. Bass seems somewhat 'enhanced' and seems to bleed over into the mid range making things sound 'yuky' at times. All of this off of a 10.00 sound card so I'm sure real audio equipment would fare better.

TL:DR version. Replacing my Sennheiser HD 457's.

In order of importance :
1. Less than $60.00.
2. Durable cords and connections (especially at headphone end).
3. Good all around sound.
4. Low leakage.
5. Comfortable for 6-8 hours at a time.
6. Good mid range.
7. Responsive bass without having to turn things WAY up.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 13
  I suspect I won't get everything so that is why I prioritized them.  My 457's work well enough for me and they were about 45.00(edit, they were 30.00) on Amazon, so my standards are not all that high.  It seems that the headphones I buy either sound great and are really fragile or they sound like something that came out of a cereal box and they cannot be killed.  I'm looking for something between those two extremes.  The Sansui 60's era headphones I had 10 years ago were bullet proof and sounded great until they got stolen.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 13
You can pick up shure srh 440 used for a few dollars above $60 probably.  Another idea would be grado SR-60 and then mod it to be closed headphones (I have no experience in this though).

Even though people will disagree with me on this one, you can also find bose one ear on sale for around $80 since they have a new version now. Bose sound isn't that great but their comfort and warranty is top notch and I think this is important for headphones used at work.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 13
^Grado's can't be modified to be closed headphones.  It completely ruins the sound.  Just put your hand over the outside of the cups while listening and you'll find this out in a hurry.

@undeliverable
Sony MDR V6 are as close to indestructible as you're going to get for less than $100.  You can buy them brand new for $75 dollars or so, shipped, or look for a used pair here on our for-sale forum, or on ebay.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 13
@undeliverable
Sony MDR V6 are as close to indestructible as you're going to get for less than $100.  You can buy them brand new for $75 dollars or so, shipped, or look for a used pair here on our for-sale forum, or on ebay.

Facepalm, should have thought of that... Oh wait fostex T50rp? I dunno how durable though but judging by its intended use...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
^Grado's can't be modified to be closed headphones.  It completely ruins the sound.  Just put your hand over the outside of the cups while listening and you'll find this out in a hurry.

Sorry I just bought a pair of grados that are in transit so I don't have any experience and should have mentioned that. Thanks for correcting me.

May 1, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 13
How about a pair of Koss DJ100? Seems like it fits the bill, and has a lifetime warranty, metal construction, and great mids. You can spend a tad bit over your budget for the Koss Tony Bennett headphones which are the same as the DJ100'but has a detachable cord, and a carrying case.

May 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 13
The Tony Bennett headphones sound perfect.  I cant find a whole lot on the detachable cord aspect of these headphones.   It looks like its just a standard 3.5mm plug-in?  Free music to boot.   Sounds well worth the money.  Thanks for the great ideas!

May 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 13
mind you i havent personally heard these yet although one of these is currently in transit to me, the jvc xx overear phones (forgot the full name) and the monoprice 8323, both are in the 30 dollar range and both are closed i believe and if reviews are anything to go by both punch well above their weight class in terms of performance to price ratio, oh also the panasonic htf600 are supposed to be good

May 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 13
You may also want to consider the Philips O'Neill SHO9560. You can find a review of them as well as the DJ100s here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

I have the Philips SHO9561 which is the same headphone as the SHO9560, but in white. In the review above, they exceed the DJ100s in build, comfort, and isolation, but lose out in sound quality.

I wear mine for nine hours plus at work every day. They are extremely light and comfortable, there is no leakage to speak of, and isolation is good. I listen to audio books and music and I'm quite happy with the sound. They also have a detachable cord that can be replaced with any cheapo cord from anywhere if it is ever damaged. There is a picture of the white ones in my sig. I work in a warehouse environment and I'm constantly moving with my headphones on; so comfort, durability, and noise isolation are all key for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back