Need some advice for a closed portable options around $130
Aug 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pandalolwut

New Head-Fier
The best headphone i've owned is a Sennheiser hd 202 but it seems to be too small for my ears and gets very uncomfortable after more than an hour of usage.

My biggest limitation is that it has to be carried by Best Buy because I have ~$130 of credit there and I was hoping to use it on a new pair. 

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music. I like classical but also some techno and rap along with some rock (mostly pretty mellow stuff). So I guess I need a pair that is solid for a lot of genres.

In terms of portability, it just needs to be able to handle going to class with me everyday. Usually walking or biking.

I've done a bit of research and it seems like the ATH M-50 seem to be a solid choice?

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Save a few dollars, get the JVC HA-S400s.
You can get different ear pads for them (Velour or Leather) for around $16, off eBay.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Headphones+Has400B+3+Way+Foldable+On+Ear+Carbon+-+Black/1304753883.p?id=mp1304753883&skuId=1304753883&st=JVC%20headphones&cp=2&lp=41

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 10
You're actually in luck. The UE6000 is absolutely perfect for you, and it's on fire sale at Best Buy right now for $99 (half off the normal price).

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 10
It's only in-store, and it's not advertised. I'm actually in New Orleans right now and this deal is going on here, and I saw that it works elsewhere in the country through the Deal thread.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
It's only in-store, and it's not advertised. I'm actually in New Orleans right now and this deal is going on here, and I saw that it works elsewhere in the country through the Deal thread.

Nice I'm in new orleans too, but won't be tomorrow. I'll be in houma. I'll try the best buy in houma but if they dont know what I'm talking about is there some sort of proof i can show them? Whats the deal thread?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 10
It's not a coupon or anything, just tell them there should be a deal going on. One of my friends went to Best Buy and discovered this deal by accident.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Unfortunately I don't have an easy way of getting to a best buy physically...none really close to me and don't have a car (in college). 

The good news though, is that I sold my best buy gift cards to someone for cash, so I think that might broaden my options a little?

I've been reading a little more about the m50 and it seems that the consensus is that it's not very comfortable? Is that true? I'd like to be able to listen without too much discomfort for at least an hour or two. Not unbearable I mean. 

I also checked out the beginner's buying guide on this site and one of the options listed was the Ultrasone HFI-580 and upon further research it seems like a good option?

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 10
The M50 really isn't very comfortable. The pad shape is sub-par and the cups themselves are quite shallow. It feel like you're wearing plastic on your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back