Need some advice, daily use headphones $100 budget
Oct 14, 2016 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mazune

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some headphones to use on a daily basis (college and such), currently looking at the AKG M220's(currently $58 shipped on massdrop), the phillips shp9500($60 shipped) and the grado sr80e. Are there any other headphones I should look at? Which one would be the best all around?(I don't mind if they're lacking in the bass department)

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 5
The SHP9500 isn't bad if you don't mind the relatively weak bass.  Open back means you'll leak sound out and won't be isolated from noise around you.  Also, they are big and fit loosely, so they aren't really good for portable use.  None of the three you've selected are portables, so I have to assume that isn't a priority.

Maybe the HD 558 is another to look at if you want an open back headphone, but its very close to the top of your budget.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 5
My daily drivers are either the AKG K240, about 69 bucks on amazon and / or the Sony Mdr 7506's also come to mind.  Don't know if you're going to be in a dorm room or walking about, but for in a room tethered to your computer / phone / DAP either of these are worth a look

-TinkerToyTech

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thoughts on the ATH-M40x? Been looking at those as well

Nothing wrong with the ATH-M40x, and is a common recommendation for someone who likes the look and build of the more famous and more expensive ATH-M50x, but without as much bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back