Need smallest portable amp
Dec 20, 2002 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jrzap

New Head-Fier
I am looking for the best small portable amp to plug my ETY-4's. I want to listen to hot music during long flights.

Sugestions any one?

Thanks

Dec 20, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Smallest decent one is probably a CMOY. It has been fit into a 9V battery casing.

Dec 20, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 9
The mini/super mini by Fixup or META42 are also options. They sound better than the CMOY but also cost more. The amps made by Fixup are pretty small, but a META42 is a bit bigger (though still portable).

Dec 20, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
META42 may sound better.

Yes that right (forgot to mention it). It is also more configurable/upgradable.

The porta corda is pretty small, similar to the META42, but not as small as one of Fixup's amps.

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Smallest and best sounding? Supermini from Fix-up. You can get a CMOY in a similar casing but it may cost you and not sound better. I have heard them all...and by far the best portable in the size you are looking for is the Supermini.

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 9
I've got Etys and a SuperMini. IMHO, they were MADE for each other, especially while flying.

This amp is almost unnoticable when traveling. Heck, a decent interconnect weighs as much or more than the amp! It's literally JUST over the size and weight of 4 AAA batteries. You can attach it to your CDP or MD (or whatever) using some Velcro so that it stays put.

Battery life is incredible... I've gone for well over 100 hours before needing to change batteries. Which, if you're really worried about weight, means that you don't have to lug around extra batteries while you're on a trip.

OK, it's teeny-tiny. But how does it sound?

Excellent! Although I don't have a META42 to directly compare, others that do have reported that the META is superior sounding... but that they are very close. Do a search on META and Fixup and you'll find the comparissons.

If you are concerned about uberportability AND sound quality, Fixup SuperMini is a terrific product.

Good luck!

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back