Need small amp between iPad and HD-600s.
Jan 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seatown7

New Head-Fier
Greetings.

I'm interested in finding a plug in stationary amp/DAC that I can put on my headboard, running my iPad Pro headphone 3.5 out into the amp, and then plugging my HD-600 and HD-598s from the amp output.

I'd prefer the amp be powered from a wall outlet.

I have a Cayin C5 but would like to not have to recharge it every few days. 

What say you?

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 9

I'm interested in finding a plug in stationary amp/DAC that I can put on my headboard, running my iPad Pro headphone 3.5 out into the amp, and then plugging my HD-600 and HD-598s from the amp output.

I'd prefer the amp be powered from a wall outlet.

I have a Cayin C5 but would like to not have to recharge it every few days. 

If you are using the 3.5mm you can't use a DAC. Not unless that 3.5mm output is a combo analogue headphone output+SPDIF, like on Macbooks, it will only output analogue audio. Alternately, you can can use a Lightning to female USB-A adapter to enable USB audio output from the iPad.

Next, if by headboard you literally just mean that carved piece of wood at the head of the bed, I've no idea how you can use a desktop amp with it, but your best bet is to stick a portable amp on it. A desktop amp will likely be too heavy to stick on that.

If however you mean you have shelves on the head of your bed, you have more options. Like the Pangea HP101, $80 on Amazon. You can set it on the shelf, maybe put the iPad Pro on a sync dock (with the USB-A adapter hooked up to the port on the dock) and connect it to the iPad Pro via USB. Mine works flawlessly on my Note3, Note4, and S5.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 9
  I have a bookshelf headboard with about 12" of depth that I'd like to set the amp on.

There's the Pangea HP101 I posted above. Only $80 on Amazon and while it's not as dead quiet as my Meier Cantate, it comes in at a level that is way past my regular listening level so it doesn't really matter. This is via USB input though so I can't be sure how much noise there is if you use the iPad's headphone output, but you can just use USB with it anyway.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by seatown7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The reviews of the Pangea on Amazon aren't very confidence inspiring. 

Did you look at the reviews and think about them? Because the 1-Star reviews was about a unit he kept in the closet until past warranty, the other had a problematic pot when it arrived, and DOA units aren't totally unheard of even with better brands. Even Schiit has had units that arrived DOA or died within a few weeks. One 3-star review cited problems with Win7, something I also encountered, but it did work flawlessly with Android (you can return it if it doesn't work on iOS, but I suggest you wait for the adapters to arrive first so you don't waste time waiting for those to arrive when the HP101 already has), while the other 3-Star review nicked it more for how the construction isn't for tube rollers to easily swap tubes. One 4-star review claims it's good but with no comparison to any other gear but before that is dismissed to be a noob who got lucky, two other 4-Star reviews cite the value for money.

So in short, the average score really is brought down by two people who don't seem to appreciate the statistical reality of DOA units this side of perfectly churned out Cavalli amps (one didn't bother to get a functioning unit, one who stashed it in the closet longer than he listened to it), and the two lukewarm 3-Star reviews cite features that don't seem to be an issue with your usage scenario. The rest cite value for money. If this isn't your reference amp - mine is the Cantate.2, but I can't find anyone who can fix it short of shipping it back to Germany - and I only cite noise in the HP101 because Meiers can be set to max volume on the most sensitive headphones and you'll still get zero noise. Otherwise, the HP101 is tonally close to what the Cantate sounds like, with just a hint less bass slam and shimmer in the high notes (very likely the tube doing the latter).

Originally Posted by seatown7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm OK with spending more for a quieter unit.

Schiit Magni2 or O2. If you want a DAC with it to run digital output from the iPad, you can get the Modi2 Uber (note that the regular version relies on USB power), or the O2+ODAC.

I just thought of something else though - doesn't your Cayin C5 charge via USB? Why not just save money and get two relatively cheap powerbanks to keep by your headboard? In case you forget to charge the Cayin, there's the powerbanks, just hook up one of them. If you forgot to charge the one you used, there's another right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back