Need size help for Shure black foamies (from Westone comply)
Jan 14, 2008 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

trip221

New Head-Fier
I've had my Westone UM1's for about two weeks now and I think they're great. The comfort is the best part about them, if only they were as crisp sounding as my grado's! They have a more warm sound like the senn's.

The short comply tips are my favorite but they seem pretty delicate and I don't think they're going to last very long. So I'm thinking about ordering the Shure black foamies (olives) since they are washable and reportedly more durable. But they come in 3 sizes - would the small Shure size be the same as the short comply size? FYI - I did try the tri-flange and then with the bi-flange mod and didn't care for either of those.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 3
While I slightly prefer Complys to the Shures, in terms of comfort, the Shures certainly are the foamie leader -- by a long shot -- in terms of durability. (I use the short Complys and sometimes the small Shures with the Etymotics ER6i.)

Since the Shure large foams are quite big, you can throw those out of the mix, for your needs. This leaves the smalls, which are very small, and the mediums, which are just a bit larger. I haven't used the medium Shures yet (I've used the smalls with the Etys and the large with the Future Sonics M5s), but in one sense the mediums would be a good "first guess." A lot depends on how the Westones fit and the size of your ear canals. To get the flush fit, you might need the smallest Shure foamies ... but of course if the foamies you choose are too small, you might not get the seal and isolation you need.

To summarize: To me, the small Shures seem just a bit smaller in diameter than the short Complys. Also to me, a too-large Comply would be more comfortable than a too-large Shure (but only by a little bit, and your mileage may vary). So maybe the mediums, for you.

Decisions, decisions ...

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the suggestion. I also emailed the guys at earphonesolutions, where I bought the westones from, and they recommended the smalls. So I ordered them and we'll see how they work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back