Need Shure SRH940 Alternative ASAP?
May 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

basmith2004

New Head-Fier
I have checked out many of the threads and the buying guides but still have not been able to make a decision so here I am....

Dilemma: Bought the Shure SRH940 a week ago for use at work and found myself in the collective that hates the headband. After wearing for about an hour, my head begins to hurt and I have to take a break. Need a replacement asap.
Budget: $300
Music: Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, County, Jazz, Ambient, Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B
Use: At work. Would like to use in transit as well so portability would be nice. 
Source: Phone (Original Droid X) and PC. No amp.
Open/Closed: Closed with little to no leakage as possible.
Comfort: A MUST
On/Over Ear: Prefer over the ear but am open to on the ear.
Current Headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 - Love them. Comfortable. Thoroughly enjoy the sound stage, bass, etc.
  2. Shure SRH940 - Enjoy the sound especially the highs for jazz and women singers
Considering but open to other suggestions:
  1. Second pair of Ultrasone PRO 750. Would like something a bit more portable if possible.
  2. Sennheiser PX 200 II
  3. Beyerdynamic DT770
  4. Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
  5. Beyerdynamic T50p

Thanks in advance!

May 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Z1000 would do the trick. I know one US based reseller often has then for around $300. They will have more bass and are warmer sounding than the 940 though. There are a couple new Beyerdynamic models that are just getting released. AKG has the 171 and K550. Audio Technica also has several portable models but be careful as some are known to hurt the ears. Do you need something that is properly driven from just a regular portable source or do you have an amp you will be using?

Edit: Just saw you mention your sources. Based on the sources you might have to scratch the new BD models or check to see how they perform without a dedicated amp, the K171 will be fine, not sure about the K550.

Also forgot to mention the KRK8400 just remember to burn the suckers in as I personally found they were piercingly sharp to my ears but have read that settles down after lots of burnin.

The L1 looks to be an interesting headphone but I have read it is dark which would be about the polar opposite of the 940 plus it is a semi closed headphone which means it will let in sound (but from what I have read is pretty good at not leaking sound). I personally hope to hear this headphone some day and may grab a pair just so I have a polar oposite to my Shures.

May 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6
The Philips Fideleo L1(highly recommended) are portable, well built, sound detailed and fun to listen on daily commuting.

May 9, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Unfortunately there is not substitute for trying them yourself--and for as long as you typically plan to wear them--when it comes to comfort issues.  This is especially true if you find yourself to a bit more sensitive than average and/or you wear them for very long periods of time.

The Beyers are knows for their comfort, but might not be for you.

May 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies! Still haven't selected a replacement. I have to decided to go for something more portable that I'll be wearing both in transit to work and also while at work. The list now looks like:
  1. Beyerdynamic T50p
  2. Beyerdynamic DT1350
  3. Sennheiser HD 25-1 II 
  4. Sennheiser PX 200 II
  5. Sennheiser PXC 250 II
  6. V Moda M80
Tried posting in the portables forum but no such luck with responses. Any thoughts on the above or is there something I'm missing? Leaning toward either one of the Beyers (worried about isolation while at work) or the HD 25-1 II (worried about comfort). I've heard decent things about the others which is why they are still in the mix. I nixed the Philip because it is semi-open and I'm not a huge fan of the Sonys.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back