Need Sennheiser hd595 amp help! And a Story for everyone ha
Jun 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ABluesTraveler

New Head-Fier
Well guys I found the best place to find people who know what they're talking about in headphones! I was setting off to buy a pair of Bose
eek.gif
QC2 yesterday until I stumbled across this site...

I had always eyed the Sennheisers also but didn't like the open aired idea. Well I just built a new computer myself with all new components (790i Asus Motherboard, 9800 GX2, SupremeFX II Sound Card, DDR3 Dual Channel Memory, Blu Ray Player, New HD TV HDMI)...and I spent all this money to hear games and movies through $40 logitech headphones.
frown.gif
So I did a ton of research and found me a pair of Sennheiser HD595 because they seemed to be popular and because of the not the dependency for an amp (although these are the 120 ohm model)..But I do have some extra cash and wanted to know what kind of amp that would work best with these headphones and if it'd improve my quality?

I have some money so I'm not asking to find me an amp for 10 bucks but I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on it. I love all types of music and play games a lot.

Another small issue is that I always have used a Mic for games online on my PC and am wondering how I was going to still have one with these Senns...Is there any good desktop mics that you guys would reccomend?

Thank you guys so much for being smart and pulling me into your addicting field ha
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd upgrade on converters first really (as in your soundcard/audio interface/dac). An audio interface/dac wouldn't be a bad idea really, I'm sure it'll be clumsy trying to connect an audiophile amp to a pc. Some audio interfaces (like mine) and dacs also have good headphone amps integrated although you're mostly still better off using a better stand-alone one.

Can't really help you on the lower priced amps though.
frown.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Some sound cards have pretty good line outs and are easy to connect to amps. I'm not an expert though so I have no idea if the OP's sound card is one of them. There are a bunch of threads about gaming and using amps here. You might get better answers if you ask the question in the amp forum since you already have your headphones. Also put a little more description in the title and more people will look at it. You can edit the title of this thread if you want.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Since your SupremeFX II has coaxial and optical S/PDIF outputs, I'd say running that into a combination DAC/Headphone amp like a Zero or Beresford TC-7510 would be a good way to go in the price range.

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, and it runs the same audio chipset as you (the ADI AD1988B), and though I have not tried the HD595's, the HD555's sound much better through the Beresford than straight from the onboard sound card.

The downside is that you lose the option of 8.1 surround sound going through a Zero or Beresford. But you can just hook up your speakers and switch the sound card's output right in Windows.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Haha... I like the title. We love having our asses kissed, right. Anyway, you're a smart man for doing some research before buying Bose. Sennheiser products are just incredible, from the sound to the comfort to the stunning looks. Start off with something that is good un-amped, and then move up to the HD650. You will not be disappointed.

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I happen to have the 120 ohm version of the HD595s. They do benefit from an amp, but honestly, they're fine without one.
The amps that they benefit the most from are the higher priced ones. I'd say spending $150 on an amp would not yield that much.
Also, the onboard audio on most motherboards now is better than it used to be.
I'd say live with them awhile and see how they do. If you then think you're missing something look for an amp recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back