Need Sennheiser HD 600 amp recommendation (Head Direct EF1)
Feb 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

listen2themusic

Head-Fier
I've read more threads on these cans than I care to say!

I got a great deal on these from Amazon recently, and decided to take the plunge. I'm coming from AKG 702's, so these are definitely different - and I want to maximize their potential as much as possible. Today I ordered a replacement cable from Surf Cable (Heavy balanced cable with single-ended adapter cable).

I've been using these with my Head Direct EF1 since receiving them this past weekend. While this combo certainly doesn't sound bad, I feel there are other options that would help these phones open up and move just a bit more. I'm aware that these are a more neutral, relaxed and mellow headphone compared to the 702...but I think I can realize better sound.

Some searches here reveal similar thoughts on this pairing. But given all the new amp options since such posts were made, I thought it would be best to open this topic up again. So, I'm trying to figure out what would provide me with an upgrade in performance coming from the EF1 - and trying to stay under $500 if at all possible. The usual suspects:

Schiit Asgard 2 - $249
Schiit Valhalla 2 - $349
Schiit Mjolnir - $499
Burson Solist SL MKII - $499
Woo Audio?
Others ?

If money were no object, I'd love to try the Dragon Inspire IHA-1...but I really can't justify spending that amount of money.

I've read so many conflicting opinions regarding tubes vs. solid state with these cans that it gives me a headache! At my price point, it would stand to reason that a solid state design that was maybe a fit more forward in nature would be a good pairing with the HD 600. Yet others swear that the HD 600 needs a good tube amp...the tube(s) used here could make a difference of course. Lots of people recommending either the Asgard or Valhalla...the price is right for these. But, Schiit is getting rid of the original Mjolnir for $499 and this would give me a balanced connection option. It would be nice to find a balanced amp, but options are few that are under $1,000.

I'd be interested to hear from others that have powered the HD 600 with the EF1 and then moved to something else they made a considerably better pairing,

Thank you in advance!

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 8
What do you mean by having it open up or move more. Are you expecting more soundstage, treble, bass? Do you find it boring or needing amplification? If you think you can change the nature of HD600, I suggest moving to another set of cans. Headphones will give the most difference in preferences. Ask yourself what is lacking and what you like and I think you can solve your problem much easier instead of listening potential amps and hoping the 600 will give night and day experience. I found the 600 to be mellow, flat, lacking air, treble extension and soundstage. I found it to be too relaxed for my taste, had a NFB-11. It's just the way it is with the 600. Beyers were totally different with the NFB-11. Too much air and treble in fact for my tastes.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 8
  I got a great deal on these from Amazon recently, and decided to take the plunge. I'm coming from AKG 702's, so these are definitely different - and I want to maximize their potential as much as possible. Today I ordered a replacement cable from Surf Cable (Heavy balanced cable with single-ended adapter cable).
I've been using these with my Head Direct EF1 since receiving them this past weekend. While this combo certainly doesn't sound bad, I feel there are other options that would help these phones open up and move just a bit more. I'm aware that these are a more neutral, relaxed and mellow headphone compared to the 702...but I think I can realize better sound.
Some searches here reveal similar thoughts on this pairing. But given all the new amp options since such posts were made, I thought it would be best to open this topic up again. So, I'm trying to figure out what would provide me with an upgrade in performance coming from the EF1 - and trying to stay under $500 if at all possible. The usual suspects:
If money were no object, I'd love to try the Dragon Inspire IHA-1...but I really can't justify spending that amount of money.
I've read so many conflicting opinions regarding tubes vs. solid state with these cans that it gives me a headache! At my price point, it would stand to reason that a solid state design that was maybe a fit more forward in nature would be a good pairing with the HD 600. Yet others swear that the HD 600 needs a good tube amp...the tube(s) used here could make a difference of course. Lots of people recommending either the Asgard or Valhalla...the price is right for these. But, Schiit is getting rid of the original Mjolnir for $499 and this would give me a balanced connection option. It would be nice to find a balanced amp, but options are few that are under $1,000.
I'd be interested to hear from others that have powered the HD 600 with the EF1 and then moved to something else they made a considerably better pairing,

What are you using for a source, and what if any, are you using for a DAC?

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 8
For Senns. I always recommend tube amps. My choice would be the Valhalla2 , out of your list. Most prefer the Bottlehead crack, for the Senn 600/650. ALL Senns scale VERY well with better gear. You'd be surprised. I've never owned the 600. But I've had the other 3, and at the time I had the Lyr. Went to a friends house after I bought my 800's ,who had a Ray Samuels The Raptor, and was blown away by the sound. So, yes. Better gear with Senns will give you better results. You can pretty much scan the Senn threads and get the consensus.
Cheers
I've read more threads on these cans than I care to say!

Schiit Asgard 2 - $249
Schiit Valhalla 2 - $349
Schiit Mjolnir - $499
Burson Solist SL MKII - $499
Woo Audio?
Others ?

Thank you in advance!

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 8

What are you using for a source, and what if any, are you using for a DAC?

I listen almost exclusively to FLAC files via the PC in JRiver or foobar ripped from:

LPs captured at 24/96
CDs ripped at 16/44

I am feeding my current headphone amp from a Musical Fidelity M1DAC.

I listen mainly to rock, traditional jazz and some blues.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 8
What do you mean by having it open up or move more. Are you expecting more soundstage, treble, bass? Do you find it boring or needing amplification? If you think you can change the nature of HD600, I suggest moving to another set of cans. Headphones will give the most difference in preferences. Ask yourself what is lacking and what you like and I think you can solve your problem much easier instead of listening potential amps and hoping the 600 will give night and day experience. I found the 600 to be mellow, flat, lacking air, treble extension and soundstage. I found it to be too relaxed for my taste, had a NFB-11. It's just the way it is with the 600. Beyers were totally different with the NFB-11. Too much air and treble in fact for my tastes.

I do realize they have a specific sonic signature, and I am really not trying to turn them into something they are not. But I can't help but feel that they strike me as a nice set of speakers that are just not paired with the right preamp and power amp to deliver their best sonics. I definitely like the bass I am getting from them, it feels about right. And you are correct, they don't have "air" like my 702s. But it seems to me that perhaps a fast and detailed amp might help to wake them up JUST a bit more than they are right now.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 8

I do realize they have a specific sonic signature, and I am really not trying to turn them into something they are not. But I can't help but feel that they strike me as a nice set of speakers that are just not paired with the right preamp and power amp to deliver their best sonics. I definitely like the bass I am getting from them, it feels about right. And you are correct, they don't have "air" like my 702s. But it seems to me that perhaps a fast and detailed amp might help to wake them up JUST a bit more than they are right now.

I hope you find someone that has a lot of experience with amps, but I'm guessing a lot among them are more experienced with 650 or 800. I didn't want to go down the rabbithole for finding the optimal amp for 600 and 650 and just switched headphones which turned out great.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen2themusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Meier Corda Jazz. I have the Cantate and it's been difficult finding something that sounds like it (I haven't met with the engineer who can look at it as he has experience building active ground amps), and if money wasn't a problem right now I would have just picked up the Classic and DACcord.

My brother and dad gave me a Pangea HP101 for christmas though and it sounds surprisingly similar to the Cantate, and what I initially thought was tube ringing was isolated to the USB input being fed by a smartphone. It's still not as dead quiet as Meier amps, but the noise threshold is at a level that you won't use even with quiet recordings (barring low sensitivity headphones). Of course, if you can afford the Jazz, I'd go get that one, even if the HP101 is on sale on Amazon right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back