Need scanner recommendations
Aug 29, 2004 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
My old HP flatbed scanner finally died. I need to get a new scanner. I want a flatbed that can also scan slides and or film. I have a good printer so I don't want one of those all in one things. I want high quality scans, and I'm not too picky about the price.
Anybody got a recommendation?

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 11
Epson makes good flatbed scanners, but if you want to scan slides, you should really get a dedicated slide scanner. The Minolta Dual Scan is a good one for the price.

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 11
I have the Epson 3170 and it works fine. Might want to give that a shot. Believe I payed some where around 100-150 for it w/ a rebate (which I actually did get back).

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang
I have the Epson 3170 and it works fine. Might want to give that a shot. Believe I payed some where around 100-150 for it w/ a rebate (which I actually did get back).

I was just looking at that one on Amazon.
I read somewhere that Epson makes real good scanners. So, I'm studying that brand.
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Epson makes good flatbed scanners, but if you want to scan slides, you should really get a dedicated slide scanner. The Minolta Dual Scan is a good one for the price.

I guess your right, for serious slide work a dedicated slide scanner would be best. But something that can at least handle the occasional slide would be nice. My old scanner was just a plain old flatbed.

Aug 29, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Epson makes some of the best.

get the best model that you can afford.

http://www.epson.com/

Thanx for the link. I found a $50 rebate there.
Right now all I am getting is Epson recommendations. One brand reco's are unusual for this place.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Thanx for the link. I found a $50 rebate there.
Right now all I am getting is Epson recommendations. One brand reco's are unusual for this place.
tongue.gif

well, unless you can afford those $10,000 pro scanners, you would have to be a fool not to get an Epson really.

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Just to put an end on this thread.
I just picked up an Epson 4180 today from Staples. I haven't even taken out of the box yet.

Thanks for all your inputs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Mr. PD: would appreciate it if you could post your impressions after using it for a while. I'm hoping to get a new scanner in the not toooo distant future. Unfortunately, I just bought a Canon LiDE 80. It's not a bad scanner, fairly quick, definately svelte. I'm just a chowderhead who did not read the specs carefully before buying.

It's a 1200 dpi scanner. Doesn't have the resolution that I was hoping for. Have been eyeing the Epson models. That 4180 looks nifty!

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back